picnic backpacks?

12:46 p.m. on July 26, 2008 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Not really hardcore "gear", but I am curious if anyone has bought a picnic backpack, the type with all plates and utensils included. I'd like something I could easily carry out to the beach for a picnic, but I've been wary of these types of packs. REI has a couple, but no customer reviews. In general, I like the way the REI packs look. Thanks!

1:45 p.m. on July 26, 2008 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
685 reviewer rep
3,104 forum posts

We got one ten years ago as a wedding gift. It's very cute and I thought it was a nice gift. I thought we might use it for picnics at the beach or at concerts etc...

That said, we have NEVER used it in ten years. We have taken the plates out a couple times to eat outdoors, but that's it.

So, I guess my advice is to only get one if you're sure you'll use it. They look very useful though if you're the type to have lots of picnics that need a wine bottle carrier, cutting board with knife for cheese and so on.

Ours seems well made and looks nice. I always think it's a shame we don't use it, but we've just never seemed to have the need to match it.

2:41 p.m. on July 26, 2008 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Thanks, Alicia. That's the feeling I get about these things - it seems awfully pricey for something I am not sure I will use very often.

October 25, 2014
Quick Reply