tent pad/inside liner help

8:24 p.m. on August 17, 2008 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

does anyone know of any pads/liners that would fit on the floor of a tent (kelty Base camp 6) and act as a second layer of protection between the tent floor and sleeping pads. I am looking for a padded material (not a tarp type) that would cover the entire tent floor. thanks for your time.

9:14 p.m. on August 17, 2008 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,430 reviewer rep
5,358 forum posts

Not sure why you would want a padded material for the floor, but the easiest and cheapest thing would be to get some closed cell foam (Ensolite is one brand name) and cut it to shape. You can get it as the "blue foam" from places like WalMart, Target, local sporting goods stores, etc. in basically sleeping pad sizes, getting enough of the pads to provide enough square footage. You will of course have excess to trim off. You can also buy carpeting at your local carpet or hardware store ("indoor/outdoor" carpet) and cut to shape.

Best alternative is just don't walk on the tent floor - take your shoes/boots outside the main tent body. The best protection for the floor itself is something *under* the tent, whether a purpose-made footprint or a sheet of 3 mil plastic dropcloth cut to shape.

Remember this is a backpacking site, not a car camping site. Most of us here know to take our boots off and not wear our dirty footgear in the tent. We don't use cots, either, which tear up the floors in nothing flat.

9:36 p.m. on August 17, 2008 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
391 forum posts

Exped and, IIRC, one other gear maker have thin, folding pads that are synthetic insulation bonded to nylon shell material. You COULD cover your tent floor with these and it would help with warmth in very cold weather, BUT, you have to carry it.......

Nemo tents offer something like you want for their highend alpine tents, but, again, such "luxury" adds pack weight.....

9:44 p.m. on August 17, 2008 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,504 forum posts

How about a good old fashioned wool blanket or Coleman style sleeping bag opened all the way up?

Are you backpacking?

10:52 p.m. on August 17, 2008 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
391 forum posts

Holds too much moisture in a backpack tent and will mildew in a short time. The best option is fitted EVA foam pads plus your regular sleeping pad and bag.

For longer stays in my Hilleberg Saivo, with footprint, I am working on a system of this type; it is not really backpackable, but, this tent is for relay packing into base camps, flyins, river boats, horses and so on. With a completely padded/insulated floor, it will be much moe comfy to live in for a week+ as previous stints of doing this has taught me....hope to get out for a solo week in January to try this out with some new ideas I have.

11:10 p.m. on August 17, 2008 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,504 forum posts

Yes, I have many problems with moisture myself.
I kinda get the impression San-eri may be car camping, but I could be wrong of course.
I'll bet EVA foam comes on large rolls and is then cut into smaller sizes to be used as sleeping pads.
Maybe a large piece would not be too hard to come by?

I often use straw/leaves to "pad" the area under my tent, but it is not always available, and I don't feel like it provides much insulation.
The ground here is quite rocky and it makes life easier.

November 23, 2014
Quick Reply