Wich daypack could be a smart choice

11:29 p.m. on September 4, 2008 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Hi guys,

I'm actually looking for a daypack. Here's my needs.

I live in Quebec, Canada, so we have rought winter with lots of snow. During the summer, I can hike mountains where the temperature goes from a hot summer day at the begining to a cold windy winter at the summit. This mean I need to bring a winter jacket that take lots of place in the bag. I want to be able to carry my snowshoes and my poles on the bag when I'm skiing, and my ski and poles when I'm snowshoeing during the winter. I will use it on day hike and also thru hike. I would like to be able to attach my sleeping bag or (and) my therma rest ON the bag.

To give you an Idea, I've been looking at the Osprey Talon 44 Pack, but it dont seems to fit all my needs, the Arc'Teryx Khamsin 40 Pack could be a good choice (???) . Give me your tought and your suggestions. I dont care about the brand or the price, I juste want a bag that I will like.

Thanks guys, let's get outdoor !

Denzel

Note: I'm French Canadian so my english might not be that good

12:02 a.m. on September 5, 2008 (EDT)
9 reviewer rep
47 forum posts

Salut, Denzel! Votre anglais est tres bien...

I have a GoLite Pinnacle pack that I really enjoy using for hiking, lightweight backpacking, and ice climbing. It's a simple rucksack, but it has a roomy outer pocket, ice axe loops, and a compression strap on the top of the pack, which is perfect for attaching a sleeping bag. Long side compression straps easily hold my Prolite or Z-rest sleeping pads in place, and might hold a pair of snowshoes or skis in place if buckled across the front of the pack to the opposing sides. (It's a bit small for winter camping, but can do in a pinch.) Please note: he stated volumes on the Golite website are a bit optimstic - my women's pack is supposed to be 57L but is actually closer to 45L.

Bonne chance!

9:55 p.m. on September 6, 2008 (EDT)
21 reviewer rep
62 forum posts

Denzel,

A number of packs come to mind that you could try, but my experience doesn't really lie in what you're seeking your gear to do for you.

Given your alpine pursuits, the first thing that came to mind was....Black Diamond. You might take a look at their packs and see if anything there suits your fancy. Most of their gear caters to climbers and skiers!

http://www.bdel.com/gear/packs_overview.php

Cheers,
~Matt

9:53 p.m. on September 7, 2008 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Thanks guys,

NLEES, I've been looking at the GoLite Pinnacle, its a nice pack, I couldn't find any retailer near where I from that have it in stock. Thanks Matt too, I just went on Black Diamond websites, they have some sweet gear there. Finally, I bought a pack yesterday. Its the Arc'Terix Silo 40. I had on great deal on it (135$ CAN). Its perfect for my needs. I'll be able to carry my snowshoes and skis on it, my poles too. The only thing is that there's no straps too attach my ThermaRest or my sleeping bag on it. I guess I will have to pack smater than ever. I plan on using it next week-end for a hiking in the mountains.

Thanks for you helps fellows !

Cheers,
Denzel

6:53 p.m. on September 8, 2008 (EDT)
21 reviewer rep
62 forum posts

I'm sure you'll be able to be creative, and figure out some way to make it work. ArcT's are great bags.

July 31, 2014
Quick Reply