Whats A Good, Lightweight Fishing Reel

10:04 a.m. on September 9, 2008 (EDT)
27 reviewer rep
82 forum posts

I know trouthunter might have a good idea on this one haha. I want a good, lightweight (less than 7oz) fishing reel for backpacking (ill just be fishing in rivers and lakes). Something that can take 6-8lb test, and hopefully under $75. I already have an ultralight pole, so preferably not a rod/reel combo. thanks guys!

Trouthunter, I found this Okuma Avenger UL on ebay, what do you think? $31, less than 7oz... http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=230287960766&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=013

2:32 p.m. on September 9, 2008 (EDT)
27 reviewer rep
82 forum posts

Or this little guy, 6.3oz, $30 range on ebay. http://www.knkfishing.com/html/cetus_500_series.html

4:53 p.m. on September 9, 2008 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,504 forum posts

hey dp85,
I would stay away from the first one, (pic I get from that link is a cardinal) and I'm not familiar with the Tica brand.
Make sure you get a reel that has a full aluminum body, aluminum reel, rolling line guide, and ten sets of bearings is becoming standard for finer reels. That might go over 7 oz. but I think worth it. You don't have to spend more than 50.00 bucks to get a nice reel.
Also don't shy away from spin-casting reels(Zebco push button type) or the hybrid under-casting reels work very well also, you just need to get a decent reel, not the kind that comes on a 20.00 Zebco.
I have a friend who can regularly out fish most guys using his 20.00 Zebco, it's more about experience than having a 100.00 reel. Still, you want to get a quality reel for smoothness and reliability.
Here is a link to a page full of good reels. Anything off this page would be a good pick. These range from 30.00 bucks on up, but 50.00 - 75.00 gets you a nice reel that won't break the bank.
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/reelspin.html

Good luck, let me know how it goes.

9:20 a.m. on September 10, 2008 (EDT)
27 reviewer rep
82 forum posts

hey trout, are the Okuma reels not so good? or is it just that avenger model thats bad? I ended up going with the Tica Cetus SB500, it was so light and ive actually read some good reviews about its performance. Ill see how it goes for a trip or two, if it doesnt live up to the standard, i can always take it back. Im sure it will work just fine for what i want to do though.

4:57 p.m. on September 10, 2008 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,504 forum posts

The Okuma reels are fine, and are made by Quantum, unless I'm badly mistaken. The link you gave for the Okuma showed an Abu Garcia Cardinal, maybe I didn't scroll down or something, those reels have a graphite body, which is light but not the quality you get in a solid aluminum body IMO.

I really wouldn't get too picky about brands, most with solid aluminum construction, plenty of ball bearings, and a line roller, should do just fine. Of course all that adds weight, but better to carry a couple extra ounces than cuss your reel all morning!
The Tica will probably be fine, I'm just not familiar with their product line.
One thing to check a reel for is noise, anything you can hear, the fish might hear, sounds travel well through both water and fishing line (mostly on retrieve).
Most times it isn't how great your gear is, but how quiet and stealthy you are on approach. This is one of the most overlooked problems fishermen have, and is not preached enough by the industry cause they can't make any money telling you to be quiet. But they are always willing to sell you better lures in your moment of frustration.

Stick with the basics, be stealthy, learn the behavior of the fish you seek, ALWAYS be there at sunrise, and your Tica reel will take it from there.

5:02 p.m. on September 10, 2008 (EDT)
27 reviewer rep
82 forum posts

oops, that was the wrong link i i was thinkin of. oh well. and in reading the reviews they say this reel is supposed to be super quiet like you were saying i wanted. Maybe thats why ive never caught too many fish, ive always had an old reel that sat outside and rusted its internals?

But ya, my goal right now actually is to wake up bright and early on my next trip up to the lake, crawl out of my tent, get a nice hot cup of coffee goin, and just go sit out on the grass bed by the lake, fish all morning and watch the sunrise. sounds like great fun haha.

6:27 p.m. on September 10, 2008 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,504 forum posts

Are you driving or hiking in? Oh, and what lake dp85?

Both rain and sunshine are bad for rod and reels. Sunshine degrades rod and reel parts and fishing line. Rain will wash trash in your reel, and your grease out.

Yea coffee!

7:34 p.m. on September 10, 2008 (EDT)
27 reviewer rep
82 forum posts

haha, coffee. ill be hiking in, any lake really, this last week we did the alpine lakes, Snoqualmie, Dorothy, Deer and Bear lakes. weve got so many around here, but this weekend at snoqualmie the fish were HUGE and beautiful. Theyd swim within 10' of the shore and nip at the bugs above the water. But i didnt have a reel so i was s.o.l.

November 24, 2014
Quick Reply