DWR treatment

1:42 a.m. on September 23, 2008 (EDT)
35 reviewer rep
99 forum posts

Newb question. What would be one of the best DWR treatments for a Precip jacket? Also, wash or spray? I have heard people endorse both, for strong reasons it seems (?). I have really looked for good information, but haven't found much.

11:41 a.m. on September 23, 2008 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,430 reviewer rep
5,314 forum posts

Aside from my strong dislike of Precip, before I gave my Precip jacket to Goodwill (still have a pair of the pants, though), I found both McNett's and NikWax's DWR renewal products to work well, both the spray-on and the wash-in. The only difference I found (with GTx and eVent as well) is that it is easy to miss spots with the spray, while the wash-in gives a more uniform coverage. With the spray, you hang the jacket (or pants), then try to make sure to re-arrange it to get the parts hidden by the folds you always get when hanging a garment. The critical area seems to be where the hood drapes over the back and shoulders. I often missed small patches there.

Since the performance seems about the same, I tend to use NikWax more, because they are more "green" than McNett (read the ingredient part of the labels).

eVent is so much superior to PreCip and Goretex that I only have one Goretex jacket any more and no PreCip jackets. I do have several Goretex pants (bibs) and one PreCip pant, but these breathe so poorly that I only use them in really cold weather or for the PreCip pants, I wear them over shorts, never long pants.

2:24 p.m. on September 23, 2008 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,082 forum posts

Precip strikes me as regular, old coated nylon by another name. Has anyone else noticed that every fabric in today's world is waterproof-breathable?

10:15 p.m. on September 23, 2008 (EDT)
35 reviewer rep
99 forum posts

If W-B clothing wasn't so overpriced I would certainly be wearing something more high-end, but until that happens I'm stuck with the Precip. I'm going to try the wash in, thanks.

11:25 p.m. on September 23, 2008 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
391 forum posts

I agree with Bill, eVent is so vastly superior to ANY other type of raingear/snowgear that I also have only my older Jack Wolfskin GT parka and have bought both an ID Thruhiker and Pullover ( I LOVE this ) in eVent this year.

When a student without any help from my parents, long ago, I also worked in the mountains for the Forest Service and needed good gear, but, couldn't afford it. I found that a Black's of Greenock coated nylon Cagoule, I still have my second one over 30 years old, worked VERY well, IF, you wore it over a merino wool underwear top and changed when you got to our college, after a two mile hike from where I lived.

I do not really care for Precip, but, it is better than nothing and ya gotta use whatever ya can afford. I now use an ID Silponcho quite a lot, with cheap Cabela's coated nylon chaps and I have a LOT of raingear, this being BC.

All in all, when a person CAN afford eVent, as made by Montane, ID or Wildthings, it IS worth the cost.

1:16 p.m. on September 28, 2008 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

I like the Nikwax it has worked for me.

Wash your jacket in plain soap, no detergent and rinse well before renewing the DWR. Dry on delicate or warm iron after application will help distribute the treatment. In fact, check the water shedding after you wash & dry it and before your Nikwax (or whatever) it. Your jacket may just be dirty and cleaning it will restore its water repellency.

October 24, 2014
Quick Reply