Daypack ?

12:23 a.m. on October 14, 2008 (EDT)
33 reviewer rep
40 forum posts

Need a daypack that can be used in both wet and dry conditions. Would like to have adequate space inside to pack lunch- emergency stuff- maps- place for my water bladder-and maybe a book and rain outfit. I am a big guy and also like a chest and waist strap. Am new at this so am trying to ask correct questions. Really appreciate any input-Thanks!

4:42 p.m. on October 30, 2008 (EDT)
18 reviewer rep
133 forum posts

A good day pack that is waterproof? Why not get a good day pack that you can use and put everything in a dry bag. Avoid a waterproof day pack. The waterproof treatment wears off.

There are soooo may options. Look at Gregory or Osprey for some great options. If you want lightweight, look at Gossamer, Granit Gear or Six Moon Design. North Face make so many diiferent options its hard to say where to start. Alot depends on how much you want to spend and if weight is a problem.

Hope that helps.

6:00 p.m. on October 30, 2008 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,295 forum posts

I should note that the SilCoat dry bags are extremely light. So getting a more or less standard, very llght day pack and putting your gear in a SilCoat dry bag inside the day pack gives full waterproofness that will stay waterproof for a very long time and hard use. A couple of the makes of Silcoat bags are almost as light as a trash compactor bag of the same size, though more expensive. This gives you a double pack that is a lot lighter than a fully waterproof pack (which I have two of), and even as light as packs that are poly-coated to make them waterproof (though as gearjunky says, the waterproof coating wears off, and fairly quickly, as well).

I used this approach in Tanzania last December during the trek through the rain forest. You can divide the gear between 2 smaller SilCoat bags and have a way to put the wet rainsuit in the pack while keeping it separate from the other stuff that you want to stay dry) There is a wide range of prices among the various brands, but I haven't found the cheapest real SilCoat ones to be any less durable or waterproof than the most expensive ones.

9:58 a.m. on October 31, 2008 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,153 forum posts

Golite makes some decent packs that are light yet big enough to use from everything as a daypack to a multiday pack. I have thier Gust pack, its basically a super sized stuff sack with chest straps and a waist belt. And its water proof. Weighs less than a pound empty.

7:13 p.m. on November 3, 2008 (EST)
33 reviewer rep
40 forum posts

Thanks All !! Am checking into all suggestions. Once again this board has been of tremendous help-Friend

8:20 p.m. on November 3, 2008 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
391 forum posts

I prefer the ARCTERYX Needle 55 and 65 and a couple of the Mystery Ranch packs for daypacks. The "dead bird" models can be found discounted and are built like M3 Bradley armoured vehicles and given a "deal", these are a super choice as they will last forever.

As to MR, they are the best packs I know of and only McHale's custom packs are equal. Buy a GOOD pack and adjust it correctly, this is more colmfortable and functional than these little UL rigs that can't carry a decent-sized granola bar well.

September 19, 2014
Quick Reply