Coast to Coast Walk in England. Need Footwear advice

12:16 p.m. on November 7, 2008 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Hey everybody, new member here. I am going to do the C2C walk in UK in the summer of 09 with life long college buddy, now hit the dreaded 40... Anyway, I need some advice from some exp. trekkers in regards to footwear. We will do the 190 miles in 12 days, and was wondering if anyone has done this walk. I was hoping to maybe utilze a gore-tex trail/running shoe, as opposed to a light hiking boot. Any thoughts on this? I know that mud and weather will be a factor as I married a UK girl and am used to the English weather? Would a trail shoe work, has anyone done the same, or am I sacrificing stablity etc. If so any suggestions?

If not, any suggestions for a light weight hiking shoe. I am looking at Salomons 3D Fast trekker mid, and maybe the lightweight Vasque. Any expereince suggestions, etc.

Thanks to all that can help. Also if anyone has done this in the last 24 months, would love to know about lodging, etc.

BTW I will carry about 25 pounds or less in pack, and we will stay in BB at the end of the day.

Thanks again

12:39 p.m. on November 7, 2008 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,079 forum posts

On my most recent trip I had no choice but to walk across a flooded section of a trail. I was thankfully wearing standard leather hiking boots and my feet stayed wonderfully dry. This would not have happened in running shoes or light hiking boots.

Prior to the trip I contemplated wearing trail shoes as I did not need the boots for support on this particular trip. However, given what I had to walk through I am glad I made the choice of leather boots.

12:44 p.m. on November 7, 2008 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Alan, thanks very much. Did you camp or stay at B&B's. Thanks I am leaning towards a light weight gore tex boot.

October 2, 2014
Quick Reply