Gore Tex Paclite, Is it durable?

1:27 p.m. on February 14, 2009 (EST)
14 reviewer rep
8 forum posts

Obviously a Gore Tex Pro-Shell is the top of the line with regards to durablilty, waterproofness etc. But if someone is an occasional backpacker (once or twice a year for about a week) will a Gore Tex Paclite jacket fit the bill with occasional city use? How long does the waterproofing last???

6:45 p.m. on February 14, 2009 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,298 forum posts

PacLite does not breathe worth anything, so you get pretty wet inside a PacLite jacket or pants. Another thing I found with PacLite is that your body oils cause delamination pretty quickly, especially around the neck area when you are wearing even a light pack (remember the old ads about "ring around the collar" Well, that's where your body directly contacts the PacLite). Yeah, it is waterproof - both directions, from the outside AND in. It seems ok if you are just standing still. But if you are exercising (like hiking or backpacking), your body perspiration will condense on the inside of the PacLite layer. I suppose you could use it for light city use, though.

10:46 p.m. on February 14, 2009 (EST)
14 reviewer rep
8 forum posts

hhhmmm, this is a bummer because it is quite a bit cheaper than I ProShell and I dont feel that I can justify the price-to-use of a pro shell...

8:27 a.m. on February 15, 2009 (EST)
133 reviewer rep
37 forum posts

Paclite seems good value when compared to proshell, and that is one of the benefits of the latter material's image for the company making/advertising/selling it. The word 'Pro' seems to command a higher, prestige-related pricing capacity - just look at cameras - besides merely distinguishing it within Gore's range.

Durability, other things equal, has a lot to do with the weight/denier of the fabric (whole or patched-in reinforcements) but the cost will be comfort, drape, compressibility, overall weight and so on.

Sounds like the intended uses you describe would suit a jacket in one of the branded materials: conduit, triple point, H2nO, Precip etc. Or eVent.

Are the features the same in both of the jackets you have pre-selected? Arm vents, hood, front zipper protection, pocket position, cuffs, and fit?

My ideal method of choosing a jacket would be: is it recommended for durability, practicality and comfort and can I try it on? Then: does it come in a colour that won't embarrass me? There is nothing worse than having to wear out an overpriced jacket that still advertises the companies that brought it to market without putting any thought into how well it would serve the customer.

There are so many affordable choices right now, you could buy two nice-looking jackets for the price of a 'Pro' one, with enough differences between them to match nearly every foreseeable application. Or one membrane and one windproof. Good luck and enjoy.

October 1, 2014
Quick Reply