SVEA & Sigg Tourist Cookset

4:54 p.m. on February 26, 2009 (EST)
16 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

I bought my SVEA 123R & Sigg Cookset back in the 70's and still have it and it still works, even after sitting in storage for more than 10 years. It's certainly one of the most reliable stoves ever made and the cookset fits it perfectly. I would love it if someone would make the cookset again, only anodized with a nonstick finish.

9:04 p.m. on February 26, 2009 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
41 forum posts

I'm an idiot and passed a Sigg tourist cookset up at the local Goodwill that still had the original box (don't know if it was ever used). It was $6.99! I'm still kicking myself for not buying it. Ugh.

10:03 p.m. on February 26, 2009 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,556 forum posts

Hi guys,

I have a buddy with an old SVEA, he loves it and I think it's cool. I like well made vintage stuff, I just appreciate the quality I guess.

11:45 p.m. on February 26, 2009 (EST)
210 reviewer rep
4,348 forum posts

I had both a Svea 123 and the square mountain stove that had a square cook pot lid, can't remember the name. I lost the Svea after leaving it at a friends place in Sonoma CA years ago then loosing his address and not heard from him since, (he didnt have a address for me ) I loved those stoves for their durability and simplicitys.

12:05 a.m. on February 27, 2009 (EST)
5 reviewer rep
74 forum posts

I spotted a Svea 123 at a garage sale a couple years back and picked it up for $3. Its the one in the photo to the left. Works just great. I love the nice loud sound and priming is just part of the charm.

12:12 a.m. on February 27, 2009 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,445 reviewer rep
5,392 forum posts

Optimus (current owner of the Svea trademark) still sells the Svea 123R. We have both a 123 and a 123R (the R is not as good as the original 123, IMHO), plus a thoroughly battered Sigg Tourister and a brand new, never been used Tourister. The principles behind the design of the Tourister were used in designing the Bibler and Markill hanging stoves, and were used by Jim S in a lot of his stove experiments (Jim posts here from time to time - both Tom and I have backpacked and climbed with him, and I think both of us have skied with him as well).

1:48 p.m. on February 27, 2009 (EST)
71 reviewer rep
440 forum posts

I spotted a Svea 123 at a garage sale a couple years back and picked it up for $3.

Okay, that's a deal even my Scottish forebears wouldn't pass on. Tell ya what, I'll give you $30 for it--that's 1000 percent of what you paid! Bet your 401K isn't giving that sort of return! ;-)

2:01 p.m. on February 27, 2009 (EST)
38 reviewer rep
1,765 forum posts

I think if someone made a Sigg type kit that was about 50% smaller and held a stove like the Snowpeak Giga or any of the smaller canister stoves, they would have no problem selling them. The Sigg is too big for me to carry just for myself, but the design is great.

The Sigg is essentially the same idea as the Jetboil, but more versatile since the pots can be swapped around depending on how you want to use them. Make the pots out of anodized aluminum and that would be even better. The windscreen base could be plain aluminum to keep costs a bit lower. If it could be designed to hold an Optimus liquid fuel stove as well, that would be even better. Maybe it could be made with interchangeable bases for different stove designs.

Bill, I haven't actually been skiing with Jim, just the one trip to Yosemite a few years ago, he brought skis, but we used snowshoes. Just talked to him the other day about my Yosemite trip.

12:49 p.m. on March 2, 2009 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,083 forum posts

Back in the day, Optimus made a cook set identical to Sigg's tourist kit, but sized smaller. The set was called the 88. The set was sized smaller, perhaps 25 - 50% smaller than the tourist. The 88 makes a great solo set. This morning on my ebay tour I noticed a couple for sale - (I'm not the seller and I don't know who the seller is). My point in bringing up the auction is the seller has a photo of the 88 along side the tourist to show the size difference.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=110357885789

Through the years, Sigg made tourist kits for many stoves. I have ones for a 123, Peak 1 (I also believe it fits the Bluet), MSR (pans only - no need for a windscreen) and one for the Borde Bomb.

Here's my 88 in action cooking up some glop.

2:31 a.m. on March 3, 2009 (EST)
38 reviewer rep
1,765 forum posts

Thanks Alan, Nice kit but the asking price is pretty outrageous.

11:04 a.m. on March 3, 2009 (EST)
71 reviewer rep
440 forum posts

Outrageous pretty well sums it up, Tom. I think somebody over there's selling under the influence....

11:20 a.m. on March 3, 2009 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,083 forum posts

I agree with the price being outrageous, but I would not be surprised if the seller gets the money. There are not a lot of 88's to be had. That said, I think I paid about $50 for mine on ebay several years ago.

10:07 p.m. on March 5, 2009 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
167 forum posts

perry

are you still looking for a svea 123? i was browsing one of my favorite shopping sites and lo and behold a svea 123 for $35, almost your price. i image that you will still have to pay a shipping price. anyhow check it out. i have bought a few things over the years from bill and have always been real happy.
http://users.scroline.com/troop77/EquipmentTrader/stoves&cooking.htm

his pricing is based on what he paid for an item instead of what he can get. so sometimes the items are high quality and low price. bill also has a few cooksets avaiable right now,

December 20, 2014
Quick Reply