TNF Hyvent care?

2:01 a.m. on March 15, 2009 (EDT)
26 reviewer rep
119 forum posts

What would you guys recommend for washing and treating my old shell? I was just gonna use Nixwax Techwash and TX.Direct wash in. Good combo or other options?

I just read TNF product care stating not to use liquid detergents? It also does not suggest any cleaning or treatment products. Overall, not very helpful.

12:45 p.m. on March 15, 2009 (EDT)
133 reviewer rep
37 forum posts

Can you get pure soap flakes? They should be fine, or other pure soap, and save some money. I used to have a TNF Hyvent jacket and washed it in normal non-bio with no problems except for a little bit of the seam tape coming away but that happens with wear and tear.

As for the DWR proofing, I think there might be some sense in applying it to only the outside of the fabric, with a paint brush etc. I'm sure with three-layer jackets that is the best option but I think it also makes sense with two-layer membrane fabrics - surely the DWR inside the jacket would interfere with breathability?

And clean out the washing machine thoroughly first and only a small amount of pure soap, should you have any, as it foams out the drawer.

Edit: I just checked with a recent copy of TGO UK magazine and one repair shop recommends coating only the outside of the jacket with the repellant stuff (they did an article on 'beating the recession' by making gear last longer). I find that duct-tape does not stick to the inside for quick repairs if I have used the machine wash technique with that nikwax stuff (which reminds me, I have to repair someone else's jacket like I promised last month) ;-).

11:40 a.m. on March 16, 2009 (EDT)
26 reviewer rep
119 forum posts

Ok, thanks for the info. I just figured the wash in would eliminate the possibility of missing a spot. Guess i'll just get the spray.

December 19, 2014
Quick Reply