Which watch????

7:09 a.m. on March 15, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

Lately my wife and i have been getting into triathlons and adventure racing. We have been looking at the Garmin Forerunner 405 but with little positive feedback on quite an expensive bit of gear we are none the wiser......

Just wondering if anyone is able to perhaps offer some advice as to what products would be most suitable for both of those two sports.

Regards.

8:09 a.m. on March 15, 2009 (EDT)
110 reviewer rep
762 forum posts

Hi Matt, and Welcome to Trailspace.com!

Check with race coordinators first. The 405, and other GPS capable watches, may not be allowed in some ARs.

My wife has the older model #305 (I think). It actually got better reviews that the newer model, but its really big.

6:15 p.m. on March 15, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

Thanks for that mate and thankyou for the welcome. What an awesome site and i am glad to be a member of it.

Ill keep on looking and asking the questions in regards to the watch as i would like a decent one for hiking and training along with triathlons. I was only thinking the 405 because of its size and the GPS capabilities, however im not sure as to how well the GPS works....

8:32 p.m. on March 15, 2009 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,445 reviewer rep
5,392 forum posts

Generally (but not always) GPSRs are allowed in triathalons and adventure races, but not orienteering events. The Garmin 305 is actually much better suited to use in a race than is the 405, but both (and the rest of the Forefunner series) are designed and intended as training instruments, rather than as navigation devices. If you want to use a GPSR for navigation in an adventure race or triathalon, you would be better off with something like the Garmin 60Cx (not the CSx) or Colorado, the Magellan Triton, or the Delorme PN-40 with their downloadable maps. On the other hand, if you are skilled enough in orienteering to compete in the advanced classes (Brown through Blue), you are far better off not having the distraction of a GPSR (good orienteers always go faster in adventure races than the majority of competitors with little or no orienteering experience - they don't lose anywhere as much time dealing with the navigation problems).

Take a look at the US Orienteering Federation webpage to find an orienteering club in your area or close by. Many of the orienteering meets include an adventure racer classification as well as the normal orienteering classifications.

Just noticed you are in Oz. Look on the International Orienteering Federation website or better yet Orienteering Australia. There are clubs in all 8 states.

10:47 p.m. on March 16, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

Thanks for your reply Bill.

We will probably go with the 405 as it seems to have a few options that will be beneficial along with being smaller and lighter then the others we have looked at.

Thanks for your help both Bill and f klock and i am already enjoyning this site.

December 20, 2014
Quick Reply