Katadyn Vario water filter?

5:02 p.m. on March 22, 2009 (EDT)
26 reviewer rep
119 forum posts

I've read tons of reviews on the various filters out there and am tired. Pretty sure this is the filter I'm going to get unless you guys have some better direction to steer me in.

5:39 p.m. on March 22, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

I have a Katadyn Vario water filter and I am satisfied with it. I have only used it a couple of times and so far it has worked well. But I have not used it long enough to give it a long term review. Its a tiny bit heaver than some but it seem to be a bit more serviceable than most and also has a versatility factor. A wide mouth bottle screws on the bottom & a camel back hose slides in the bottom also you have the standard filler hose. The cleanable ceramic disk is a nice option and the carbon chamber is ok too.

6:55 p.m. on March 22, 2009 (EDT)
26 reviewer rep
119 forum posts

I'd like to use this with my camelback. Connecting the hose directly to the nipple on the filter. Any insight as to how well this works?

7:39 p.m. on March 22, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

It works ok I have a bit of leakage using this method but no big deal my issue is I don't like air is my water bladder because of the sloshing noise. I do like the option of screwing my bottle to the bottom of the filter because I have a collapsible water bottle and it is hard enough to get it to stand up while filling. This makes it much eraser also it will screw onto some of the water bladder filler neck's.

2:05 a.m. on March 23, 2009 (EDT)
26 reviewer rep
119 forum posts

Yeah, I was thinking that might be an issue. Given that i would prefer to fill my bladder while still in my pack it would be hard to loosen the seal to vent the air. Would be nice if there was a small valve at the top or the bladder to allow for this.

Trying to decide between the Miniworks ex and the Vario. Heard a lot about the ceramic filter being a little too fragile on the miniworks so i'm a little put off.

5:20 a.m. on March 23, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

I have dropped mine and it didn't brake besides all my gear must pass my durability test so to say. I am rough on my gear if it don't hold up I bin it. Also I have no info on the Miniworks. Like I said before I like my Vario so far so good anyway I hope I was some help to you.

6:48 p.m. on March 31, 2009 (EDT)
141 reviewer rep
218 forum posts

I have had the Vario for over a year now. I like it. It has served me well, and I use it frequently. Also, my hydration bladder is from Cabela's and it has the same size as a wide mouth bottle, so the Vario screws to it just like a bottle. Also, I have not had a problem filling it through the drinking tube.

Another thing I like, when it is screwed on a wide mouth bottle, if you clog the ceramic filter and it leaks out of the side of the filter (this has happened to me in shallow streams with alot of silt), it keeps the water you have already filtered from being contaminated (because the leakage is on the outside of the filter, and thus, the outside of the bottle).

10:56 p.m. on March 31, 2009 (EDT)
26 reviewer rep
119 forum posts

Thanks for the reply Explorer. I've heard of the filter leaking water from the "top"/"side". You indicate you've only had this happen when the ceramic filter is clogged. I'm hoping this is the case.

I've read hundreds of reviews on all the filters out there and it seems the reviewers have a love/hate relationship with them. Really hard to make decisions with data like that.

9:42 a.m. on April 1, 2009 (EDT)
71 reviewer rep
440 forum posts

Have a friend who replaced his old Katadyn Hiker filter with the Vario last fall, and he's reporting he's quite happy with it. Does say it'll leak when it gets somewhat clogged, but easily remedied, and not a major problem.

I'm giving serious thought to the Vario as my next filter purchase. I currently use a Katadyn Hiker Pro, but it's been abused by the dog and other malign entities, and so I'm eventually--as in soon, I think--gonna have to put it to rest.

I've also heard good things about the MSR products, but don't know as many people using them. Less familiar with the Miniworks Ex or other.

Good luck.

8:29 p.m. on April 1, 2009 (EDT)
26 reviewer rep
119 forum posts

If what I think is true and most of the negative reviews are from user error It seems like one of the better options. Seems to be the largest filter out there but that's not a big issue with me.

My friend is trying to get me to skip the filter and go with a steripen.. so many options and they all have their ups and downs.. Just have to pull the trigger and be happy.

9:28 p.m. on April 1, 2009 (EDT)
71 reviewer rep
440 forum posts

There ya go, Trav. "Don't worry--be happy!"

October 23, 2014
Quick Reply