Camping cd player/radio

2:55 p.m. on March 24, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
9 forum posts

Anybody know a great compact CD/MP3 player that still has great sound/volume?(No headphones)

Water resistent and tough would be a bonus.

Thanks

SR

11:19 a.m. on March 26, 2009 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,445 reviewer rep
5,392 forum posts

"no headphones" and "great sound/volume" does not belong in the backcountry nor is it appropriate in car campgrounds. Not everyone wants to hear someone else's "taste" in sound, and most people head for the backcountry for the peace and quiet or to listen to Nature's sounds. Loud music intrudes on other people, and it is a clear violation of LNT guidelines and displays lack of respect for other people. Last year I was staying at a car camping location in the Tioga Pass area where one party was displaying their "macho" with loud music. Within a few minutes, virtually everyone else in the campground went over and demanded the noise be shut off. When the noisemakers would not cooperate, a couple people contacted the local sheriff.

If you really have to bring your "great sound/volume" with you, at least respect other people and the wildlife whose home you are in and use headphones. There are a number of excellent sound quality headphones with super bass that should satisfy your cravings.

2:46 p.m. on March 26, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

I agree with Bill S.

Nicely put Bill

2:59 p.m. on March 26, 2009 (EDT)
72 reviewer rep
311 forum posts

Bill S. speaks very wisely!

9:19 p.m. on March 26, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
9 forum posts

If your not going to help why bother messaging, I am disgusted. Nature and music is my favourite loves, I am not someone who invades anothers space, 2nd off you won't find me in any camp ground, especially being a complete "macho" guy, thanks for comparing my simple question into one of your bad experiences. Live with your rules boys.

Don't worry this is my last message. I asked for advice, not a bunch of web policemen.

SR(Live life, have fun, enjoy the sweet things, and take it easy you don't know when the end could come)

2:41 p.m. on March 30, 2009 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
715 reviewer rep
3,166 forum posts

I think Bill's reply was right on. Even if you're not in a campground, you should assume there may be other people and animals who don't want to listen to your music. Sound can travel farther than you realize.

Bringing along some earbuds is not too much to ask and is respectful of others and their backcountry experience (or in the case of animals, their home).

3:35 p.m. on March 30, 2009 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,765 forum posts

One message that this thread should convey to anyone joining this site is this: there are a lot of people here who take preserving and sharing the backcountry experience seriously and who will let you know if what you are proposing goes contrary to that philosophy. There are certain stated and unstated rules of common sense and civility that most of us expect others to follow and when we read posts like the one that started this thread, expect to get more than just an answer to your question.

If you are unwilling to accept that fact, then perhaps this isn't the site for you.

December 19, 2014
Quick Reply