Sierra Designs Daypack

7:17 a.m. on March 27, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Hi,

I am looking for the following or similar daypack if anyone may have or know one available. They look like a great, well made piece of gear :) Even something of similar vintage and quality would be great.

Thanks for your interest.

Josh

10:31 a.m. on March 27, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,082 forum posts

These packs show up on ebay from time to time, but they tend to sell for significant dollars. They are great packs, you can't beat the leather trim.

6:15 p.m. on March 27, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Hi Alan,

Thanks for your reply. They are a seriously nice piece of gear aren't they?

Will check on Ebay…still hoping to get some interest on Trailspace as well :-)

11:30 p.m. on March 27, 2009 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
166 forum posts

I have a SD Summit pack that has top and side pockets and a leather bottom. It's a bigger version of the one shown. I still use it as my day pack. I can understand why SD packs -or anything by SD from that era - would sell on eBay for big bucks. They were built "old school" in the USA.

10:56 a.m. on March 28, 2009 (EDT)
153 reviewer rep
460 forum posts

I miss my USA made Diamond Brand Field Pack.

It is no longer being produced unfortunately. Sad.

3:19 p.m. on March 28, 2009 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

I had one of those years ago. Great little pack. Unfortunately, wore a hole in it when I didn't tie it right on my rack on my motorcyle and it rubbed against the back tire.

I've got a no-name (literally, not a marking on it of any kind) day pack that is similar, but without the leather. Not as stylish, but surprisingly well-made. It is cordura and has lasted for at least 20 years. I use it almost every day. Probably came from China, but I have no idea. Mine has the big zip across the top, a small open pocket across the back and a smaller zip pocket on that one.

5:01 p.m. on March 28, 2009 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
166 forum posts

Goes to show, you don't need high priced names.

2:15 p.m. on March 29, 2009 (EDT)
153 reviewer rep
460 forum posts

I know for a fact Diamond Brand is NOT "high priced names".

7:20 p.m. on March 29, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
167 forum posts

josh

are you familiar with the north face version of the teardrop. same nylon/felt straps, different zippers, about 3" longer pack. other companies also made these tear drops, some had leather with felt padded shoulder straps, while others had the conventional nylon covered padded straps.

i think there is a north face with conventional straps that just listed on ebay. i have also seen some frostline, made from a kit, versions of this pack.

sabino

does your summit have one strap to close the top flap or two. the only pictures of summits i have seen have the two straps with a pocket on the top flap. on mine the top flap is a pocket. i think the two strap ones also had a skirt on the inside of the pack, mine does not. i really like the felt padded nylon straps.

]http://www.frontiernet.net/~lazya4/sierra/dscn4731.jpg" />

11:40 a.m. on March 30, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,082 forum posts

The top loading Sierra Designs seems to be a lot less common than the teardrop pack. Lots of companies made this style, my very first daypack was the teardrop/leather bottom/felt shoulder straps by Gerry. I've since collected similar packs from Class 5, Hine Snowbridge and Alp Sport. A friend of mine had the Sierra Designs teardrop and school books seem to fit better in his pack than in my Gerry. The size of the bottom compartments was slightly different. I have a real weakness for leather bottomed packs.

1:06 p.m. on March 30, 2009 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
166 forum posts

My Summit has two straps to close the top .The top flap is more a pocket than a narrow flap.

October 23, 2014
Quick Reply