About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

New MSR fuel bottle

3:45 p.m. on March 28, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
153 forum posts

What do you think of the new redesigned caps on the MSR fuel bottles. On the one hand, they might be less likely to unscrew themselves in you're pack. On the other hand I've never had an issue with the old bottles. The new ones seem like they might be more difficult to unscrew with cold hands.

I don't have any kids so I don't really care if the cap is childproof. Do you see any real advantages or disadvantages of the new design? I'm thinking I'd like to pick up one more bottle and I'm debating whether to get the new one, or buy one of the few remaining old ones in the store before they are bought up.

4:20 p.m. on March 28, 2009 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
884 reviewer rep
3,432 forum posts

I have never had a problem with one unscrewing on me.

I make sure the O ring is in good shape, cap is snug, and then apply duct tape for insurance. I have not seen the new caps. I don't like anything that is not very simple in design, as I've stated before, I'm a traditionalist so I might be a bit biased right out of the gate.

I don't know if I need anything childproof, slows me down too much! HaHa

10:16 p.m. on March 28, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

Hay trouthunter

The easiest way to open a child proof item is give it to a child.

WISam

As far as the new cap goes i'm not really impressed with it I don't like the cap over a cap design after time the locking fingers and return mechanism will fail sooner or later.

The old style cap with the o-ring seal wont open in your pack ever if you use a little commonsense when packing it.

11:12 p.m. on March 28, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
153 forum posts

I was thinking the same thing. Seems like they took something that should have been real simple and made it complicated and therefore, more prone to failure. And on top of that, they charge more for it!

The REI by me still has two of the old ones left and I think I might be grabbing one while I can.

3:02 p.m. on March 29, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
84 forum posts

New MSR Fuel Bottle.
I am very happy to see the new fuel bottle. Yes the opening can be more difficult to use.

2 years ago when I went looking to replace a lost fuel bottle, I could not buy anywhere in my area a MSR Fuel Bottle, or any other type that had the original configured cap. I could not even order from out of the country.

It wasn’t MSR who decided to make the change.

If I remember right, that spring up in the far north area a child had opened and consumed the white gas fuel in one of those very bottles. The Canadian Government banned the sale of this type of fuel bottle until they could be made child proof. All of the older bottles had to be removed from the shelf’s.

The threads are the same for the new and old bottles. I guess that we should be happy about that part.

This doesn’t help, I know, I just wrote this to clear up the why part. Good luck on your selection WISam.

April 18, 2014
Quick Reply