Mountain Products Corp.

3:16 p.m. on April 3, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
89 forum posts

I came across a small tent. A Bivouac orange with red fly,wt. around 2 lbs. Can anyone tell about MPC, what all they made, when they were in bus. My tent or biv does have a seperate fly. Model of tent might be?

10:02 a.m. on April 4, 2009 (EDT)
153 reviewer rep
460 forum posts

Sounds like a small name brand.

I see what I can find out.

I didst a Google search for the brand name. It appears they are no longer in business. Sorry to bear such tidings. :(

9:12 p.m. on April 4, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,075 forum posts

I believe they were a California company from the 1970's era. I know them mostly from down products, but I believe they made other gear as well.

10:08 p.m. on April 4, 2009 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
968 reviewer rep
3,470 forum posts

Here is some info about the founder of the company:

http://nextadventure.com/about/richard-mcgowan-founder.html

10:36 p.m. on April 4, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
89 forum posts

Thanks to all. Tent must have been made after the move to wenatchee then, it is on the label. Ministercreek ever been to Devils Lake St. Park in WI? If ever on the way west give me a yell. Alan have you been to copper falls in northern WI? If your going north in MN or WI shout out. I would like to see your favorite tents. Trouthunter maybe a fishing trip sometime;I'd have to use your canepole,like an idiot I got rid of mine. Today I went to watch the muskies jump up to a higher lake. My daughter and I seen about 8 but they were still sitting below the damn. I finally started packing my pack 1st time ever. I got my Eureka Alpine Meadows 2 person and fly in a coleman peak1. Houston I have a problem. I still will probably start with car camp and then hike 4-5 miles.

9:17 a.m. on April 6, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,075 forum posts

Post a picture of the tent when you get a chance, sounds interesting.

At least I had gotten the correct coast on MPC. Some years ago I turned up a baffled down parka by MPC at a thrift store. The size did not fit me so I sold it on ebay. Great link on the company founder!

9:26 a.m. on April 6, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,075 forum posts

I've not been to Copper Falls, but I may need to go there sometime (just found it on the web). I've been in the Ashland area numerous times, but did not realize there was a state park there.

By the way, an Alpine Meadows is a great tent. I have them in all three sizes. They are heavy by today's standards, but a great design. For those unfamiliar with the tent, an Alpine Meadows is a Eureka Timberline with a middle pole added to the tent. The middle pole is not a structural piece, it serves to bow out the sides of the tent. Therefore, the Alpine Meadows feels roomier inside, more like a dome tent, than the Timberline where the sidewalls tend to sag inward. I believe Eureka in Canada still sells the Alpine Meadows. In the US, you can buy the Alpinlite which is the same basic concept, but with an integrated vestibule, a sloping rear end and is made for four season use.

2:35 p.m. on April 7, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
89 forum posts

Alan I don't know how to post pictures. I will be up in Minnetonka MN on 4-9 through 4-11 could possibly bring it along. I don't know if your close to there or not. I could possibly meet up with you at that gear place. Could you post an address for it if you could and distance from Minnetonka. Do you think they have someone who could look at and fix my yanes stove. The people at REI could not help me. If the people in Canada still sell the 2 person Alpine Tent what are they selling for?

10:15 a.m. on April 8, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,075 forum posts

This outfit used to sell the Alpine Meadows.

http://www.gear-up.com/category/59

I checked Eureka's website in Canada and the tent is no longer listed, so they may have discontinued that model, I believe the tent was still sold as late as last summer.

Midwest Mountaineering in Minneapolis may be able to help fix your stove. Minnetonka is a suburb on the western edge of the metro area, about a half hour to Minneapolis.

http://www.midwestmtn.com/

I'd love to meet up this weekend, but unfortunately I'm tied up. We're headed out of town next week and I've got too many details, not the least of which are my and my mother's tax returns, to button up before we go. Chalk one up for procrastination.

12:26 a.m. on April 15, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
89 forum posts

I found the store Alan. Thanks Way better than the local REI here.

10:33 p.m. on May 5, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
89 forum posts

Alan put up the MPC and it is cool. Could tarp alone with this. Last saturday I helped some friends move. They gave me 20.00 for helping; a few garage sales later I found a Eureka Alpine Meadows 4 in perfect shape.Anyway the fly on the MPC looks like the MSR Twing. Tents has 2 poles for front A, and the back uses 1 pole that goes through 2 grommets and is about half as high as front. Tested during rainy 3-4 days performed very good. Guylines softened up a bit in rain any ideas for replacing them?

1:50 p.m. on May 6, 2009 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,251 forum posts

... Guylines softened up a bit in rain any ideas for replacing them?

Guylines do that when wet or with temperature changes. That's why you either tie them with a tautline hitch or use one of the plastic or metal tightners.

Replacing a guyline is pretty easy - just get some "parachute cord" or accessory cord at REI, EMS, or even Big 5, Target, WalMart, or other Big Box or chain "outdoor" store. Cut it to length and tie it onto the tent. You might even spring the extra bucks for the reflective cord, which makes the tent easier to find at night (provided you are carrying a headlamp or flashlight).

7:53 p.m. on May 6, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
89 forum posts

Thanks OGBO these have the metal tightners the cord just seems like a sponge. I would probably have to go with the reflective version. I think there were 8 coming just off the fly. Don't know what tautline hitch is; guessing type of knot. Learnig from you and the rest of trailspace people. I found backpacker in area and getting help from him also. I hope to get out this year for first time. I will have to lose some wt. Ran 24 hour relays at about a buck something know at 210 I can't get off the floor after a nap. Sorry to say I still smoke too. My dad turned me loose when building a Ranger Station or a Park building when I was young I usually sighted 25-30 deer a day roaming the woods.

8:30 p.m. on May 6, 2009 (EDT)
2,329 reviewer rep
5,251 forum posts

The tautline hitch is described here among many other places. And below are images of first the traditional tautline and second a variation that Ashley also shows (Ashley wrote THE book on knots, all 15 pounds of book with nothing but knots, and doesn't even include the several hundred invented since he published the book, titled The Ashley Book of Knots)

Plus, here is an animated version of tying the knot.

Variation

8:32 p.m. on May 6, 2009 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,195 reviewer rep
1,063 forum posts

Sounds like a sweet little tent, New Hiker 2B. The tautline hitch is a great little knot--that's pretty cool that you're new to it. It'll be a fun challenge, and increase your margin of safety, learning a few of the multi-puropse knots out there. You'll find there's literally countless knots out there, though about 10 or so come in handy pretty often in the backcountry. If you want to learn more, take a look at the knot thread I'm about to start...

10:57 p.m. on May 6, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
89 forum posts

Thanks Bill I just tied my first. I used the stuff from an old tent pole. Is this the same as the store would give me? I'm thinking of trying this and maybe save a couple of bucks and at the worst give me a little practice on this knot. Do these helpful things disapear on trailspace after a certain amount of time? Should I be printing all of this stuff?

10:36 a.m. on May 7, 2009 (EDT)
153 reviewer rep
460 forum posts

Ministercreek ever been to Devils Lake St. Park in WI? If ever on the way west give me a yell.

Yes I have. I work at the same.

I start work on the 21st of this month, Praise God.

This I can tell thee: after the job endeth for the season, I am heading for the US Gulf Coast. Hopefully a little of Hurricane Season will still be upon us, at that time.

I have the most perfect tent to ride out the hurricane in.

12:22 p.m. on May 7, 2009 (EDT)
2,329 reviewer rep
5,251 forum posts

I used the stuff from an old tent pole. Is this the same as the store would give me? ..... Do these helpful things disapear on trailspace after a certain amount of time? Should I be printing all of this stuff?

I assume you mean the bungee that is inside fold-up tent poles? If so, definitely not! You want a pretty much non-elastic cord. This is sold as "accessory cord" or sometimes actually called "tent guy line" or "tent cord". Used to be we bought surplus parachutes and cut the cords, or that you could get rolls of "parachute cord". But the stuff sold as "parachute cord" these days has less than half the number of inner cords inside the sheath.

Some of the websites disappear after a while. Some don't get maintained (like my personal home page which hasn't been updated in 4 or 5 years). The Animated Knots website seems to be kept up to date, and the Wikipedia articles are pretty well reviewed and as permanent as anything on this ephemeral medium. As for printing the stuff, you have to keep in mind that it is usually ok under "Fair Use Doctrine", but treads close to copyright infringement. As long as it is for personal use only, it's ok legally. I added the photos as a link, not copies, so you go to the originator's website, which is ok (it adds to the owner's "click" count, so provides some income to pay for his/her efforts in creating the website). Copying the photos and posting them on your own website is very iffy (takes away from the sources repayment for efforts in creating and maintaining their website), and if your website were a commercial one, a definite no-no. But there are a number of books out there with all the knots, like Ashley's huge volume, and a number of books on "knots for camping", "knots for climbing", "knots for sailing", and so on. It's best to go to someplace like REI and actually look through the books to get the ones that have the knots most useful to you.

1:20 p.m. on May 7, 2009 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,195 reviewer rep
1,063 forum posts

One might be able to find some of the original-strength cord during a visit to the local military surplus store, asking for "550 cord."

1:59 p.m. on May 7, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
89 forum posts

Thanks Bill and I'll use it for practice only. I have no website.

2:07 p.m. on May 7, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
89 forum posts

Thanks Pillowthread for specifics. Maybe I can find someone to help me post a picture of this tent/bivy so you can all see it.

2:35 a.m. on July 19, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
89 forum posts

Slept in this thing first time last night in yard. I thought I might get claustrophobic not at all. Possibly enough room to get 2 people in it. It was about 50 degrees and I used a crappy light mummy bag. I am not sure the insulation was enough to rate or feel. I thought I would get cold the opposite happened. It took an hour to cool off enough to sleep. With the window/door flap open half way the air seemed to flow in.

July 23, 2014
Quick Reply