Lightweight, Inexpensive Thermometer - Check Temp at Night B4 bed!

6:04 a.m. on April 28, 2009 (EDT)
22 reviewer rep
29 forum posts

Hey guys. Just a shout out. Picked up one of these from Wal-Mart recently:

https://www.hardwareworld.com/Sunbeam-Frez-Thermometer-pPFKK8Q.aspx

It's a new plastic cased (lightweight - about 2 oz) 2.75" x .5" Sunbeam freezer/refrigerator thermometer. Costs less than $3, operates withOUT batteries, and comes with hanging clip perfect for putting up in ones tent. I got one so I could know the temperature at night in my tent in order to make sleeping arrangements accordingly. You know - should I use a sleeping bag liner tonight or not? Temperature range is is -30ºF - 80ºF, so it's perfect for my applications.

5:10 p.m. on April 28, 2009 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

[url=http://www.Wintertrekking.com]www.Wintertrekking.com is selling little thermometers as a fundraiser. They have both Farenheit and Celsius scales and go from 120 down to -20F. They also have a windchill chart on the back and are about the size of a big zipper pull. $8 to the US from Canada.

7:36 p.m. on April 28, 2009 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,287 forum posts

But is it a minimum recording thermometer? It is useless to say "well, it's -30 right not, so better put on my longies." Ya gotta know that it got down to -70 and you slept comfortably in your non-BIG NAME $20 1 pound sleeping bag. Bragging rights, personal records, and all that, ya know. Oh, and it should record the hurricane that passed through, as well.

Radio Shack and some auto stores have been selling indoor/outdoor thermometers pretty cheaply that take a button battery. They record max and min, as well as current temperature. That way, you can string the "outside" sensor outside your tent and figure out both what it was outside and how warm the tent stayed. They are something like $15 and about the size of a pack of gum (and much lighter).

12:22 a.m. on April 30, 2009 (EDT)
22 reviewer rep
29 forum posts

www.Wintertrekking.com is selling little thermometers as a fundraiser. They have both Farenheit and Celsius scales and go from 120 down to -20F. They also have a windchill chart on the back and are about the size of a big zipper pull. $8 to the US from Canada.

Wow! Really cool! ...

12:30 a.m. on April 30, 2009 (EDT)
22 reviewer rep
29 forum posts

But is it a minimum recording thermometer? It is useless to say "well, it's -30 right not, so better put on my longies." Ya gotta know that it got down to -70 and you slept comfortably in your non-BIG NAME $20 1 pound sleeping bag. Bragging rights, personal records, and all that, ya know. Oh, and it should record the hurricane that passed through, as well.

Radio Shack and some auto stores have been selling indoor/outdoor thermometers pretty cheaply that take a button battery. They record max and min, as well as current temperature. That way, you can string the "outside" sensor outside your tent and figure out both what it was outside and how warm the tent stayed. They are something like $15 and about the size of a pack of gum (and much lighter).

Neat idea. Got a link for us on that?

BTW: I don't know if you guys remember me from "Best 2-3 day backpack?", but I finally got one. It's not really a 2-3 day backpack, as I learned that I was going to actually need something a lot bigger than that. But I ended up going with a Mountainsmith 3.0 Recycled Internal Frame Pack. http://www.backcountryedge.com/mountainsmith-circuit-recycled.aspx?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=cpc

It's an 88 Liter (5370 cubic inch) pack that seems to consistently get 4-5 stars just about everywhere I look. Cost me just under $113 from Backcountryedge.com with the new member's discount.

August 31, 2014
Quick Reply