replacement for Sigg Tourist cookset

12:57 p.m. on May 5, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

I have two old Svea 123, (now Optimus) stoves, both still going strong. Many years of use in the Carribean resulted in pinhole leaks in my Sigg Tourist cookset. Since they're not made any more, who can recommend a replacement that I can use with my SVEA stoves.

4:49 p.m. on May 5, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,075 forum posts

If you don't mind spending some cash, you can buy Sigg Tourist kits on ebay, but you are not likely to find one under $100. Otherwise the selection of cookware available today is very good. If you no longer have the brass windscreen from the stoves you'll need to fashion a pot stand for new cookware.

2:24 a.m. on May 6, 2009 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

Alan, he may have the stove without the windscreen, like mine is, where the stove fits into the base without the brass windscreen around it. I've seen a few Siggs on eBay, like Alan says, but they are pricey.

For replacement parts, this is the place- A&H

http://packstoves.net/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=195

They sell replacement windscreens too, so you can use another cook kit.

9:20 a.m. on May 6, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,075 forum posts

I read on spiritburner.com that A&H is closing down, they are going to sell off remaining inventory and close. May be best to contact them soon.

1:44 p.m. on May 6, 2009 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,253 forum posts

That would be a major loss. Then again, A&H has been very much a specialty house, maybe too specialized, plus I know the main person there is my age or a bit older, so he may be wanting to retire for any of a number of reasons. It's like my local camera technician. He has run his little camera repair shop fo many decades. Technical "progress" is making the film camera pretty much obsolete, plus cameras, like many other things, have become basically unrepairable - if something goes wrong, you might be able to get a replacement module, but if it is more than a year or two old, you toss the camera and buy a new one. Somehow, looking at a $2000 DSLR as a disposable item doesn't agree with my inner gut feelings, but that's the way the world is going.

Well, at least backpacking stoves are simple enough devices without any electronics, so no plug-in modules. Oh, wait! Piezo lighters are in fact solid state electronic devices (you squeeze a quartz crystal to get the electric spark). AAAARRRRRGGGGHHH! Stoves are risking becoming throwaway widgets! The lighter goes out and you have to buy a new stove. You better stock up on matches!

2:39 a.m. on May 7, 2009 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

Wow, that is too bad. A&H sells marine stoves too, so maybe someone will pick up the business.

Bill's right. Even expensive digital cameras are disposable. Back in the day, it was nothing to have a 20 year old Nikon or Leica. You used to be able to tell how old a Nikon was from the serial number. The first two numbers were the year of manufacture. As long as you didn't beat the dickens out of them, they'd last almost forever and only slightly less if you did.

Now my little Canon is broken after only a couple of years of mostly sitting on the shelf. No way anyone would fix it when a new one with more pixels is only a couple of hundred bucks. Computers are almost the same way. Four or five years and they get tossed for newer and faster.

I do like my piezo starter on my Primus Micron, but I carry matches anyway.

12:15 a.m. on May 8, 2009 (EDT)
71 reviewer rep
440 forum posts

I'd get the windscreen and look at MSR cooksets.

Now, as for the whole disposable goods thing, I'm not gonna get started on that one--I've got things I'm planning on doing this weekend, so not enough time for that rant--but let me just say this--I'm in the process of trying to figure out how to rebuild my old Silva Ranger compass, from which the liquid somehow leaked out. Thinking of trying to turn it into a copper-induction-method needle-stabilizing method device, although probably easier to figure out how best to replace the liquid dampening agent. And I've still got my two old Nikon SLRs. Probably won't be able to buy film for 'em in a few years, but they'll still be perfectly functional. Whole thing makes me wanna cry.

10:47 a.m. on May 8, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,075 forum posts

Here's the link regarding A&H on spiritburner.

http://www.spiritburner.com/fusion/showtopic.php?tid/12322/post/110978/#110978

It sounds like A&H still has old inventory to sell off. Never hurts to ask.

10:48 a.m. on May 14, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

If your Tourist cookset is beyond use, would you be interested in selling parts? I need a replacement lid/pan for a set that I have and would like to give to my son to use on his Boy Scout hikes. It doesn't have to be in perfect condition. Useable as a lid for the cookset is what I am looking for.

Please let me know,

Steve

7:19 p.m. on May 15, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,077 forum posts

Maybe Alan has one in his collection?

11:00 a.m. on May 18, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,075 forum posts

I have several, but no duplicates to sell. Sigg made tourist kits for a variety of stoves, although the set for the 123 was far and away the most popular. I've got sets made for the 123, the Borde Bomb, Peak 1, MSR (just pans as no windscreen was needed), a Campways knockoff and a set made by Edelweiss for the Primus 71.

5:27 p.m. on May 18, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,077 forum posts

The Sigg 123 was one of my first gas stoves I used it in Yosemite when I stayed there from January to May 1980. I also had a Gaz butane stove for summer.

10:33 p.m. on May 29, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

I didn't know what Sigg Tourist cooksets were all about when I ran across 3 sets at a garage sale, One standard set with a svea, another full set with a Svea that is smaller in size, and a 3rd set for a coleman or similar stove. Got em for $5 a set.

July 28, 2014
Quick Reply