GoLIte Pinnacle vs. ULA Catalyst

3:09 p.m. on May 5, 2009 (EDT)
40 reviewer rep
12 forum posts

Looking for feedback about these two packs, especially in comparison. I know that the Catalyst has a slightly larger capacity. Looking for mostly info about workmanship, durability, features, etc. Thanks in advance

3:14 p.m. on May 7, 2009 (EDT)
9 reviewer rep
47 forum posts

I can't comment on the Catalyst, since I've never owned one, but I do have the Pinnacle (c. 2007). Capacity is plenty for lightweight, 3-season camping, and the pack body is amazingly durable, considering how fragile the material feels. (A couple of weak spots are found in the straps - the one that closes down the top of the pack started to fray 6 months after purchase, and one of the four side straps started to separate from the pack body last fall. I left both straps alone to see if they would fray more, or cause a failure, but they held up until this spring, where the fraying reached the halfway point on both straps. They have both been recently repaired in anticipation of a four-day solo trip.)

A word of caution - don't buy this pack unless you are already a light or ultralight packer. I made this mistake, and have found the Pinnacle slightly too small for my needs. (I live in northern Ontario, near the Minnesota border, and the climate and remote areas I backpack in rarely allow for lightweight trips - never mind ultralight ones!) The shoulder and waist straps are inadequate for loads over 18 lbs. in terms of padding and support, unless I'm winter camping and wearing a down jacket underneath.

This being said, I still really like this pack - it's incredibly light, versatile, and simple to use - once you figure out how to load and pad your items comfortably!

6:30 p.m. on May 7, 2009 (EDT)
40 reviewer rep
12 forum posts

Thanks for the info NLees. I'll consider that when I'm making my choice.

psychopengy

1:34 a.m. on May 20, 2009 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
134 forum posts

The Pinnacle is half the weight, and half the cost. And frameless. I know when I overload my Pinnacle, I can feel it start to sag in the middle, and hang on my shoulders. My Catalyst doesn't get here until Thursday, so I can't comment on it. But you're comparing apples to oranges if you only go by size.

11:50 p.m. on May 21, 2009 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
134 forum posts

Got the Catalyst. I was surprised that although it is supposed to smaller than the Pinnacle, it was the same height, and wider (main compartment only). I got twin stays, and the back panel is absolutely rigid. Nice cushioned belt with pockets on each side. As nicely built as any pack that I've ever owned, and the owner answers when I call.

November 28, 2014
Quick Reply