About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

lightweight/compact sleeping bags for larger guys.

6:56 p.m. on May 18, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
6 forum posts

Hi all,

New to the site, so please bear with me. I'm a large guy (no jokes please) 6-03 260 lbs. My shoulder girth is 62", waist 40". I'm looking for a lightwieght/compact sleeping bag that packs down small enough to fit into my Osprey stratus 40L pack. The goal is that this would be my overnight/weekend pack. Currently I have a northface mammoth 3d, and its just too big and bulky. Any suggestions would be very helpfull. Also, my wife and I, and 3 year old plan to do the Wonderland in about 3 to 4 years. Thanks.

8:24 p.m. on May 18, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
3,917 forum posts

I use a Golite Featherwieght sleeping. I am 6'7" tall and wiegh about 220. Sorta skinny compared to your description.

It weighs in at 9 oz and is good to +20 degrees. It will in my compression stuff sack squeeze down to the size of a soccer ball or about 9 inches in diameter. Normally stuffed it is about 11 inches long and 9 inches wide.

With my Golite Hex 3 rainfly, pole and tent pegs (simular to the Shangra-la) which will roll into and fit a simular sized stuff sack and weighs about 2.4 lbs, I can put them both in my daypack with my Thermarest pad,water bottles and a Ziploc food/cookpot and Pocket Rocket stove/fuel and be comfortable for a overnighter with about 12 lbs on my back.

8:29 p.m. on May 18, 2009 (EDT)
10 reviewer rep
193 forum posts

I am 6'1 240 lbs and I have the north face chrysilas (long) and I have plenty of room. I can sleep on my side as well. This is a 15 degree down bag and come with a compression stuff sack. It keeps me plent warm here in the south east and runs around $200

10:05 p.m. on May 18, 2009 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
613 forum posts

I am 63" shoulder girth, big head, 19" neck and a somewhat larger waist than I "should" have, but, at almost 63, I am going to damm well enjoy life and not worry about being in forestfire fighting shape as I was for most of my working life.

I find even a 64" bag too confining and seldom use the WM Super Alpinlite I bought two years ago due to this. I do find my 67" Integral Designs bags and my 66" Valandre Shocking Blue about "perfect" and now tend to use them all the time.

For you, I would suggest a WM "Badger" in "microfiber" and size LONG; this is 66" girth and will fit you nicely. WM makes bags of superb quality, only Valandre is a bit better and ID is equal. You will use this bag for a lifetime if you take care of it and it WILL keep you cozy.

11:39 a.m. on May 19, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
6 forum posts

Thanks for the tips. I had been eyeballing the WM bags, they're just a bit on the pricey side. Gotta pick up some ot I guess.

10:35 a.m. on May 21, 2009 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

I am 6'4" 220 and I have two Western Mountaineering sleeping bags - one for summer camping and one for winter camping. I believe WM is one of a few companies that truly size their TALL gear to be TALL - not just considering over 6' to be tall. You can read our reviews of these WM bags at www.WinterCampers.com

4:35 p.m. on May 21, 2009 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

Try a sierra designs Paul Bunyan, or North Face Bighorn Bx. I use a bighorn Bx (-7c) and find its great!. Im a bigger guy in the shoulders and chest, and they make all these small bags for the super skinny rock climbing crowd.

4:49 p.m. on June 10, 2009 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Campmor has a rectangular down bag (Campmor brand) good down to 20 degrees that I think I bought for $100-120 and compacts down to the size of a coffee can with a compression sack. I'm 6'1, 280lbs and its very comfortable. I've used it with a silk liner down to 10 degrees without cold feet.

6:43 p.m. on June 10, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

I have a Marmot Trestles 20 Semi Rec and it is very spacious for me, I am 200lb & 5'10". It may be wort a look for you here is a link.

http://marmot.com/spring_2009/equipment/sleeping_bags/synthetic/trestles_20_semi_rec_long

April 17, 2014
Quick Reply