About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Cabin tent 3 or 4 season car camping recs please

12:20 p.m. on May 26, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

I'm new to camping. Although there are only 2 adults in the family right now, I would like to take my dad along at some point ( also possible kids in the future). I live in a cold state, so need a 3 or 4 season tent. We will mostly do car camping, maybe even try tenting on some RV campgrounds. My hubby is tall and a big guy so we need lots of room. Oh and there are lots of mosquitoes in our area. Maybe this is asking too much, but to be able to cook inside the tent or a screened area would be a big help. And something that's easy to set up. Also need to be able to get two queen sized air mattresses inside. Oh and it rains a lot here too.

To sum it up:

3-4 season

Lots of room

Lots of head room

Mosquito netting, can be part of the tent or as an accessory

Easy set up

Good water/rain proofing

Good venting/air circulation

$ 300 or less

Any recs/suggestions on which tent to buy will be greatly appreciated.

12:42 p.m. on May 26, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

Welcome to trailspace Kitty

My Suggestion would be a pop up trailer its like a tent you can pack all your stuff in it, cook in it, they have screen rooms & etc.

1:01 p.m. on May 26, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Thanks for the trailer suggestion. We have one, but the gas mileage while towing is terrible. I'm hoping to use the tent as an alternative.

2:12 p.m. on May 26, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,073 forum posts

I would go to [url=http://www.campmor.com]www.campmor.com and look at the family tent selections. They will have tents by Eureka and Kelty that will fit the bill and be priced under $300. Both brands make decent tents for the trips you are describing.

No matter what tent you buy, don't cook inside. But a separate screen tent for that. Food smells coming from your tent are a great way to attract all sorts of critters.

10:20 p.m. on June 22, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

I don't know a lot about camping or tents. I go car camping with my 4 person family and sometimes my mother in law. Here is my experience, cheap tents are junk! I have an older coleman that leaks when wet even with seam sealer. It didn't come with a fly when I bought it several years ago. My family has camped several times, but have been lucky it hasn't rained. It is also very hot inside. It has windows on three sides and the door, but it is unbearable on a hot day. It has lots of headroom, but the sides slope in so you can't use a lot of the space and the tent seems pretty small for its measurements (12x10 with a 12x6 porch) of 12x16... I wanted to get something better this season and started looking around. I think one of the old school canvas tents matched up with what I wanted. Otherwise known as wall tents, military tents, cabin tents, or something else. They are supposed to be pretty water resistant depending upon the material. They are supposed to be roomy. They are supposed to breath. They are supposed to be pretty rugged. The only problem is they are usually $350-$500. There are a lot of brands I saw in my search. The brands included springbar, trek, kodiak. Here is a link to a site a saw that was helpful in looking for canvas tents http://www.shedandshelter.com/cabintents/cabintents.htm. I found a slightly used canvas tent on craigslist last week. It looked brand new and for $200 I could not resist so I bought it. It is made by a company I had not heard of, reliable tent. The model is the cascade. I set it up and it did not leak and I didn't even have the fly on it, it is made of 10.10oz marine army duck. It is 85" tall in the middle, 5 foot tall sides, and is 11.5x8.75. Even thought the measurements are smaller than the coleman tent I own this canvas tent seems so much bigger. It fits me, my wife, my two kids, a golden retriever and my mother in law. The camping stuff stays in the car. So, in my non-expert opinion maybe one of the cabin style canvas tents would work for you too. Try looking for a used one, or maybe at an army navy store, or on ebay or craigslist too. IMO, they definately are better than one of those nylon dome tents.

9:41 a.m. on June 23, 2009 (EDT)
5 reviewer rep
40 forum posts

Although a little over your budget, Amazon.com has the Timberline Outfitter 6 for about $325. Their outfitter series of tents are 4 season and very durable. The Outfitter 6 says it has room for 6 campers, plus peak height is over 6 feet.

April 16, 2014
Quick Reply