help selecting a new tent

9:29 p.m. on May 29, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Looking for a new tent and am torn between the REI Base Camp 6 and a Mountain Hardwear Casa 6. Want a tent I can stand up in. Will be used mostly canoe camping for 2 people. Like the Casa 6 as it is 8 #'s lighter but not sure it's as well built or as tough as the REI. Wondering if the trade off of 8 #'s is worth it. Any thoughts out there? Thanks for the input.

8:55 p.m. on May 30, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
89 forum posts

I have seen these in action. They look great. Search Craigslist and you will find them at reasonable prices. Gander Mountain has Aurora looks almost the same but there is a flat spot on top of the tent. It looks spooky looking up at the lake on the roof of your tent. 72 hrs. in the rain the Aurora was still keeping us dry.

9:09 p.m. on May 30, 2009 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,253 forum posts

One reason for the REI being heavier than the MH is the Base Camp is larger (83 sqft floor, 38 sf total vestibule) than the Casa (76 sf floor, 31 vestibule). Given my experience with both brands, I would take the Mountain Hardwear at $435 over the REI at $399 (you can usually find both on sale, or take advantage of REI member 20% coupon sales, since REI sells both), even with the extra size of the REI. Both have excellent warranties, both are well made (though the MH tents in my experience are better made than the REI comparable ones).

But then again, I personally would not get a tent that large.

July 28, 2014
Quick Reply