Cabela's Daimond Peak backpacks

3:04 a.m. on June 4, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
10 forum posts

Anyone have any experience with them? Reviews I've found vary, but they're on sale now, and seem to fit my weird proportions pretty well. The one I'm interested in is a 6500 cubic inch, and adjusts up to a 23 inch torso. Will it last with 50 lb. loads? Thanks again, you bunch are the best.

9:09 a.m. on June 4, 2009 (EDT)
44 reviewer rep
246 forum posts

Have you tried it on? That's really the only factor that matters. If it was comfortable, buy it! Especially if it's on sale!

11:49 p.m. on June 4, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
10 forum posts

Good point. They did not have any sandbags, but did have 25 pound bags of shotgun shot. I put two in the bag, and OUCH! I still feel the straps, nine hours later. Just for giggles, I tried on a North Face Terra 60, which appeared to have too small of a frame. Surprise, it felt much better. So, it looks like I have a lot of trying on to do. I hate being a freak.

7:29 p.m. on June 5, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
9 forum posts

Correct me if I'm wrong, being that I'm new to all this but. Your hips should be whats taking the weight not your shoulders correct?

I do know REI is having a used/returned gear sale next weekend for members? I'll be hitting that up and seeing what I can scrounge for. Maybe if you have an REI near you, you could check it out.

12:50 a.m. on June 6, 2009 (EDT)
44 reviewer rep
246 forum posts

You said you're built weird, but didn't say how exactly you differ from "normal". The most comfortable pack I've ever used is my Kelty Trekker 3950, which is the one I'm wearing in my avatar. It is heavy (about 5lbs), but I got it for $75 with free shipping online and it has a wide range of frame adjustments (I'm really tall and lanky).

I recently bought a Gregory Z55 on steep and cheap for $90 and I really like it as well. It's lighter, but not quite as comfortable as the Kelty.

You didn't really say what your price range is, but if you're not against an external frame, I would suggest the Kelty. If you strongly want an internal, I've tried both the Gregory Z55 and the next model up in size (can't remember what it's called) and also the Osprey Atmos 50 and Atmos 65. I really liked them all and went with the Z55 because I got it on sale.

Do a google search if you're interested in the others... I know I saw the Atmos 50 on sale somewhere for $130 the other day, which is a good price.

The atmos and the Z55 are (probably) not going to be comfortable with a 50lb load... when you get that heavy, externals start to really shine.

4:00 a.m. on June 8, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
10 forum posts

I'm 6'5", have a 60" chest, 46 inch waist, and a teeny tiny 31 inch inseam. My Arms are so long that my arm span is 3" longer than my height. Ergonomically, I'm a nightmare.

2:29 p.m. on June 8, 2009 (EDT)
44 reviewer rep
246 forum posts

Luckily for you, your armspan and inseam don't have anything to do with fitting your pack. At 6'5 and what sounds like short legs, you might have a problem finding a pack with a long enough torso. I have a 21.5" torso and I just barely fit into the largest packs most people make.

10:10 p.m. on June 8, 2009 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,251 forum posts

There is a measurement parameter oft discussed among climbers (especially rock climbers) around the campfire called the "Ape Index". It is the ratio of armspan to height (think "knuckle dragger"). The average male has an AI of 1. Climbers with an AI greater than 1 tend to have an advantage. At 80 inches span, and 77 inches height, you are at 1.04. I used to be 1.02, but currently at 1.05 (span hasn't changed, but like most people, I am shrinking with age - something about spinal cushions compressing). You also have to have height, not just a high ape index. Michael Phelps (like lots of fly champions) has an even larger AI, as does a former colleague who was a fly champ in high school and college. Plus both of them have short legs for their height - say! you aren't Michael Phelps with a pseudonym for Trailspace, are you {?>D

Anyway, as east says, AI, leg length, and anything other than torso length and shoulder width is irrelevant to pack comfort. And if the torso length is right, most good packs have enough adjustment in the shoulder strap separation to take care of shoulder width. There are ways to take care of waist belt length, so that's not a problem.

12:35 a.m. on June 9, 2009 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

To me, packs are like shoes. If they don't fit right, it doesn't matter what brand or how expensive they are. I had a Bora 80, a $400 pack. I wore it on one trip and got rid of it. Fortunately, I got in trade so didn't eat it totally. I now have a cheap Kelty that fits a lot better.

Your strap problem may be that the pack is too narrow or the hip belt wasn't adjusted properly so that the weight was mostly on the belt. In any event, don't buy something just because it's on sale.

In your case, I'd look for a pack with a replaceable hip belt so you can tailor a big pack to your shoulders and a smaller belt for your waist. It will make a big difference.

11:47 a.m. on June 9, 2009 (EDT)
44 reviewer rep
246 forum posts

Have someone measure your torso length, then maybe we can point you toward some packs in your range (alternatively, go to a real gear store like REI and have one of the employees help you).

Lean your head forward and feel the back of your neck. Note the first big bump you can feel. Now poke yourself in the side near where your belt hits and note that bump (top of your hip bone). Measure between bumps.

Edited to clarify: Don't stretch the tape from the back of your neck over to your side. You're measuring straight down your spine to the level of the top of your hipbone.

6:17 p.m. on June 19, 2009 (EDT)
153 reviewer rep
460 forum posts

I say go get the Cabela's pack. They make good stuff, judging from my experience.

11:12 a.m. on June 20, 2009 (EDT)
141 reviewer rep
218 forum posts

My wife's first pack was a Cabela's pack, I believe from that series. It was built to withstand a bomb blast, but it was never comfortable for her. We have loaned it to others who all had a problem with the straps hurting their shoulders.

1:24 a.m. on June 22, 2009 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
134 forum posts

Want a good pack, go to a pack company, not a hunting / car camping company rebranding someone elses product.

July 26, 2014
Quick Reply