Need help buying gear

8:15 a.m. on June 8, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

I am interested in getting Ice Crampons and really don't know if theses are good one http://www.swisslink.com/products/product.php?id=389&sid=6

I am sorry if my questions seem really obvious, but I would like to have some idea before I go shopping.

Thanks for any thoughts, or if you have a specific recommended ice crampons that would be awesome.

1:16 p.m. on June 8, 2009 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
588 reviewer rep
3,025 forum posts

Hi, Zidler. Welcome to Trailspace!

First, I'll ask you the most important question — where and for what activities do you expect to use crampons or traction devices?

Be very specific here. There's a wide variety of products available designed for walking and running, to winter hiking, to mountaineering, to steep ice climbing, and what you want and need depends on those factors.

1:39 p.m. on June 8, 2009 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,287 forum posts

Well, gee, they are cheap, aren't they. $20! Makes you wonder why, when crampons used by serious ice climbers and mountaineers, and even walking aids for walking across an icey parking lot are several times that.

As Alicia said, what is your intended use? The ones in your link might be ok for casual use. But since they use a strap harness system to attach them to your boot/shoe, they are not likely to be useful for anything more than walking on fairly level surfaces. The link does not say what material they are made of, though since they are military surplus, it is likely to be steel.

1:46 p.m. on June 8, 2009 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
588 reviewer rep
3,025 forum posts

Yeah, I also noticed the price and wondered too, but I try not to rule things in or out on price alone and wanted to know what zidler hoped to do with them, before making a suggestion.

However, for anyone looking for traction devices designed for running, walking, and light hiking, I have been very happy with my Kahtoola Microspikes and recommend them all the time.

I reviewed them here: http://www.trailspace.com/gear/kahtoola/microspikes/review/13334/

August 31, 2014
Quick Reply