About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Older Kelty packs on Ebay

4:45 a.m. on June 11, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
10 forum posts

So, thanks to all the help you all have given me, I'm almost there in finding a new pack. I have a very long torso ,23.5, and prefer an external pack. I found a few on ebay that say they have an XL frame. Does anyone have an old brochure, tag, or chart, maybe an ad, that would say just how long in the torso this is?

Another one is for a Kelty equinox, size 3. Anyone have any idea how large this is? The price seems right, but I don't need another pack I can't use, at any price.

Thanks again.

11:21 a.m. on June 11, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,073 forum posts

I don't think the Kelty catalogs specified torso length when they listed frame sizes. Generally they gave height guidelines and then told you to add or subtract an inch or two depending upon your body type. How tall are you? I'll try and remember to pull an old catalog tonight.

1:17 p.m. on June 11, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

I agree with alan the measurements of packs of today differ from yesteryear just like now then you need to try them on for a good comfortable fit.

This my help you I have a 21-22" torso length and my Kelty Toiga 5500 has lots of adjustment left over for expansion.

I only know of two manufactures of quality external frame packs Kelty (reasonably priced) and Bergans of Norway (extremely expensive)

1:19 a.m. on June 12, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
10 forum posts

Wel, I bought one. It is a Black Tioga with red trim on the side pockets, and orange top cover and sleeping bag portion. Has a black frame and belt, along with the straps. I tried on a yukon today, which says on the tag it was for 19-21 inch torsos. It felt so good with 50+ lbs in it that I almost bought it, but, sadly, lacked the money. The one I bought went for a total of 37.00$, shipped. I'll post pics of it and me with it on under load when I get it, so maybe I can help all the other ergonomic nightmares out there.

1:53 a.m. on June 12, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

cdaleen I hope it works well for you.

11:58 p.m. on June 18, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
10 forum posts

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff27/uglyoldguns/BTkNgMgB2kKGrHgoOKjMEjlLmRfcUBKJHez.jpg

I think it's a Tioga. Any kelty gurus out there? Tag inside said Made in Korea, right befoe I washed it and it disintegrated. Has the somewhat older metal hipbelt buckle, still a quick release, but not a plastic fastex. No sternum strap, but the shoulder straps seem to have loops sewn into the outer facing to facilitate putting one on. The waist belt (hip belt?) is thickly padded, and long enough to accomodate my 46 inch waist. The top cover is secured by cords that go into plastic springloaded slidelocks, that are themselves secured to the main body of the pack by cords around two inches long. Inside the main pack body, at the top, is an aluminum u or c shaped braket, which forms the top opening's mouth. The sleeping bag compartment does have an internal divider, and there appear to be several internal tie off points to compress the bag when not using the whole thing. I was leary of getting the Large size, but this seems to fit me well. I only have about 2 inches of shoulder strap hanging out the adjusting slidelock, but my hips take all the load so far, so the shoulder straps seem to reduce movement more than anything. I've heard Kelty can send me a newset, which would be very much more comfortable, and maybe longer and more curved, with a sternum strap built in. Anyway, thanks again for all the help. Finding this thing was a 3 month process, and I was getting really discouraged at the thought of ever finding a pack. The help I got here made me try on the Kelty packs, no matter what the tags said.

1:00 a.m. on June 19, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

Well it looks like a Tioga and its definitely an older model. Kelty has had a lot of names for that style pack over the years but Tioga is the most popular the only real difference in them is the size pack bag and a few of them have length adjustable frames but I think that's only on the newer ones.

And yes Kelty will be able to take care of you if you need parts for it here is the number.

Warranty/Repair Inquiries PH: 866-349-7225

I hope it serves you well and you get much enjoyment with it.

April 20, 2014
Quick Reply