About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

lightweight bug shelter

6:10 p.m. on June 11, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

My family goes to the Boundary Waters frequently and we're looking for a very lightweight shelter. There are at least 5 or 6 on any given trip and we like to sit around in the fresh air at dusk and play cards, but get tired of getting chased away by the mosquitos. I don't know if anything like this exists, but please let me know if you know of anything.

9:57 p.m. on June 11, 2009 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,249 reviewer rep
5,186 forum posts

Some of the tarptent makers have bug liners. For example, Black Diamond has one for the Megamid and the silcoat superlight version of the Megamid. These can be pitched standalone. The Megamid and other similar tarp and pyramid tents sleep 4, so you can easily seat 6 or 7 people inside. Or you can take along one of the bed nets made for mosquito country that fit over a double or kingsize bed. Campmor, for example, has a few in their catalog. Some of these are "pitched" by tossing a cord that attaches to the center over a branch, hauling it up 5 or 6 feet, and fastening down the edges. For a bed in a hotel in mosquito country (lowlands of Central America, parts of Africa), the rooms often have a hook on the ceiling that you attach the cord to, then tuck the net under the edges of the mattress. The nets with a frame generally are too low to sit around playing cards, though I suppose you could lean on an elbow.

10:38 a.m. on June 12, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
3,925 forum posts

Golite makes a bugnet tent for its Shangri-la , It can be set up without the middle pole by use of a loop on the top tied to a limb. This is the inner part of the tent I use. It weighs 2 lbs 5 oz and is $150 at [b]www.golite.com[/b] under equipment. It is 8 feet wide and 66 inches tall, has 55 square feet of floor space.

10:56 a.m. on June 12, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,073 forum posts

Cooke Custom Sewing makes exactly what you are looking for and it's designed with BWCA trips in mind.

http://www.cookecustomsewing.com/screentent.htm

They are not cheap, but the quality is impeccable.

April 19, 2014
Quick Reply