• Dual density foam waist belt
• Sternum strap
• Belt stabilizers
• Load Lifter Straps

Looking for around 3,500 CI's of space

2:51 a.m. on June 25, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

I am a external frame pack person myself I have a Kelty Tioga and I love it but Kelty has 3 models to chose from

Kelty Tioga

Kelty Trekker

Kelty Yukon

http://www.kelty.com/kelty/

9:41 a.m. on June 25, 2009 (EDT)
44 reviewer rep
246 forum posts

I have the Kelty Trekker 3950 and it's awesome. It's the one I'm wearing in my avatar pic. I don't know whether or not Kelty's are still made in this country. They used to be, but the company has gotten really big, and you know what usually happens next...

Anyway, I'd look into it if I were you, because if they're still made in this country I'd say that's where you need to be looking.

9:56 a.m. on June 25, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
12 forum posts

If want first quality made in the USA mystery ranch seems to be the ticket. They are very well built and should have all of those features.

11:39 p.m. on June 28, 2009 (EDT)
14 reviewer rep
204 forum posts

I can't think of ANY externals that meet your requirements, especially the bladder and load lifter. You can mix & match and come close.

Kelty's Pacific Crest (?) would be the closest match I can think of, followed by some of the older Carson packs or even the Olympic.

I've never understood a hydration bladder on a backpack.. i typically just get a 'biner and hang water from my hip belt.

7:58 a.m. on July 15, 2009 (EDT)
65 reviewer rep
168 forum posts

The Carson by JanSport meets most of your requirements. It does not have load lifters on the shoulder straps, nor a sleeping bag compartment -- it has the old popular 3/4 length bag, with room below for strapping your sleeping bag on. I've used that system on various packs for many years without problems, so it's worth considering. Campmor carries them at a very good price. I've had one for a while and it holds up well. Some of my Scouts use them too, and they are hard on gear, so I'd say it is fairly rugged (but only weighs around 4 lbs.)

October 22, 2014
Quick Reply