Mountain Hardwear External Frames

4:15 p.m. on June 30, 2009 (EDT)
28 reviewer rep
63 forum posts

I am looking for a large pack for carrying winter gear, and for longer warmer weather trips. I own some gear from Mountain Hardwear and I am very pleased with it. This being said, I have found some of their external frame packs (Harrier, Solitude) and good prices, but I am weary of the external frames.

Has anyone used these packs that could compare them to internal frames? What am I sacrificing (if anything) by going to that type of set up?

I'm not sure if its of any relevance, but I currently use a North Face Terra 40.

Thanks!

Brendan

9:33 p.m. on June 30, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

I myself prefer external frame packs, normally the pack bag is wider and shorter and the structure is sturdier. The basic design is so that you can strap things like your tent or sleeping pad etc to the frame of the pack so there is no need to try to fit everything inside the pack bag. But I have never used a Mountain Hardware external frame pack.

9:46 p.m. on June 30, 2009 (EDT)
14 reviewer rep
204 forum posts

my friends don't like the shoulder straps... one replaced them with a set of Kelty replacements.

11:53 p.m. on July 1, 2009 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
134 forum posts

They're heavy, that's for sure. I'd look at a ULA personally.

September 30, 2014
Quick Reply