The Kelty Orb Tent

6:06 p.m. on June 30, 2009 (EDT)
153 reviewer rep
460 forum posts

I did happen to pitch this Kelty model yesterday just to see how hard or easy it is to erect this particular tent.

Let me tell you this is one of the hardest of tents I had to ever erect. Those so-called flyboys I personally see no benefit in this tent's design. The think in short is a real pain to set up.

Has anyone experienced any differculty pitching the Kelty Orb?

Plus it can use much more head room. I can hardly sit up in this tent.

10:53 p.m. on July 1, 2009 (EDT)
5 reviewer rep
74 forum posts

While I do not have the Kelty Orb, I have a Kelty Cyclone 2, which always has the Flyboys.

I was initally very frustrated with fastening the clip to the Flyboy patch until I realized I was using the wrong technique. Fold the Flyboy patch around the tent pole and slide the clip from the side.

I was trying to force the clip directly over the patch and the pole beneath. The tolerance are too close to easily do that. Sliding on from the side is way easier. Together it makes for a taut unit fly/tent.

I dont know if you had similar difficulty in installing the Flyboy clips. If that was the main frustration you might try the 'side' technique.

With three poles and a full, vented fly, the Cyclone can handle a whole lot of weather. The mosquito net vent panels keep the Cyclone from being a true four seasons tent, (though I would not hestiate to use it for a night or two in the snow).

9:29 p.m. on July 2, 2009 (EDT)
153 reviewer rep
460 forum posts

I must report I returned that bloody Orb tent back to REI here in Madison for a full refund. This tent pleased me not.

I am replacing the Kelty model with the Coleman Exponent Phact X3 Tent. I purchased the same today from outdoorgb.com.

http://www.outdoorgb.com/p/Coleman_Exponent_Phact_X3_Tent/

Never again will I purchase another Kelty tent. I'm very disappointed.

8:35 a.m. on July 10, 2009 (EDT)
5 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

Coleman.........Wouldn't that be the BIGGEST of the "BIG".

2:28 p.m. on July 14, 2009 (EDT)
153 reviewer rep
460 forum posts

Coleman.........Wouldn't that be the BIGGEST of the "BIG".

LOL...I always thought that "honour" would go to Sierra Designs.

2:47 p.m. on July 14, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

don't try to set this up alone. three people and some grunts.

September 16, 2014
Quick Reply