Coolers - Any Suggestions?

10:05 a.m. on July 10, 2009 (EDT)
6 reviewer rep
9 forum posts

Does anyone have a suggestion for a good brand of cooler, basically for car camping? I'd like to find one that is going to keep stuff for 4 to 5 days. I've seen some that say there are good for that long but......

TIA

Ken

7:52 p.m. on July 10, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
64 forum posts

I've always liked the 54 qt. metal Coleman coolers.The lids always seem to batten down almost vacuum tight with the metal latch.While beach camping,I have had block ice last for 4-5 days,taking care to keep it shaded as much as possible.

10:59 p.m. on July 10, 2009 (EDT)
110 reviewer rep
762 forum posts

I agree with whistlestop and can add nothing more. Car Camping = steel Coleman cooler.

5:45 p.m. on July 15, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
34 forum posts

Keeping it in the shade, and not in a parked hot car, is critical to getting 5 days from a block of ice. Even throwing a white towel over it if it has to be in the sun will make a huge difference.

There's no magic here. Thicker insulation, tight lid seal, white (or shade) = long lasting ice.

9:43 a.m. on July 16, 2009 (EDT)
6 reviewer rep
9 forum posts

Thanks for the feedback. I did go with the coleman. They say it is good for up to 5 days at 90 degrees. Now if we could only get warmed up here in MN, I could test that.:). I have to admit, even if this summer seems cooler than average, it has been great for camping/hiking. Not too hot and perfect for sleeping.

Thanks again

Ken

July 31, 2014
Quick Reply