looking for new tent 2P sw 4lb. or under

2:52 p.m. on July 14, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

My gear is old,like me I have a northface singlewall 2person.frog style that i loved to much. Looking for a replacement.

5:32 p.m. on July 14, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
247 forum posts

Some more info could have been nice to have. Does price matter? Is single wall tent OK or do you want double wall. I guess that "sw" means summer and winter? But winter in my country is different from US. Open treeless mountains with strong winds puts extra stress on the construction, compared to calm winter in a wood.

10:14 p.m. on July 14, 2009 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,352 forum posts

I use the Golite Hex 3, which is now called the Shangri-la 3.

It comes in three separate parts. The rainfly is very lightweight 2 lbs 13 oz. It will sleep two people comfortably, but will accomidate one more if the single pole isnt used and a tree limb can be used to tie the top of the tent to. Its sorta pyramid/cone shaped. It measures about 8 feet wide and 62 inches tall. Its $225. The one pole can be traded out for a hiking pole if you carry one?

There is also a bug-netted floor that I like to use in dryer climates and is held up either bu the single pole or the loop around the branch method above. It weights 2 lb 5 oz. at $150.

There is also just a floor peice that when used with the rainfly during non-bug seasons is much lighter than the bug-net/ floor system. And it weighs in at 1 lb 6 oz. at $75.

I have used the trio combination for about 7 years now and am very happy with it. It is a 4 season tent as long as you are not hiking the Sierra Nevada in the winter. I use it between the summers in the Tetons, all over Arizona in the winters and have used it in Alaska during heavy rains and tons of bugs and have never had it collapse or be blown badly.

It has 13 stake loops and I use titanium T stakes for durablity. The ones that come with the tent are fine if you never encounter underground rocks that bend them like the soft aluminium they are.

It comes in a yellow called Bamboo or Evergreen colors.

Go to [url=http://www.golite.com]www.golite.com and look under equipment.

11:20 p.m. on July 14, 2009 (EDT)
344 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

Gary has my dream tent. I just dont have the cash for it, yet. I dont know what you cash situation is but if it is anything like mine, may I suggest the Glaciers Edge / hiker. Now I have only had this tent for 6 months. But I am VERY happy with it so far. And if your cash straped as I am It is a steal. It is light around 4 lbs. Now I wouldnt call it a 4 season tent unless winters are just rain and wind like it is here. There are now 2 reviews here on Trailspace. It might be worth a look.

10:19 a.m. on July 15, 2009 (EDT)
5 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

We use the Stephenson warmite 2 person tent which weighs about 3.8 bs. It has loads of room, never leaks. great ventilation, and is very durable. We used it for our AT hike without any problems. It is pricey, but worth it. The company doesn't advertise but they have a website called Stephenson Warmlite. If you like being able to pack all your gear inside at night , this tent will work for you. Hope this is helpful.

4:55 p.m. on July 16, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

sorry for no info. What i need is a free standing,single wall ,3 1/2 season. tent. For under $300.00. Small footprint,and very strong.Kind of like the rei clipper.

5:40 p.m. on July 16, 2009 (EDT)
65 reviewer rep
170 forum posts

that is not going to be easy...few things to think about -
Black Diamond Firstlight Tent 2-Person 3-Season for $320

you have the Hilleberg Rajd but it's $360 and not really a tent but one of my friends have one and it's looking great

http://estore.websitepros.com/1764795/-strse-9/Rajd/Detail.bok

I don't know where and how you are going to use it but I think that my first on the list will be the Tarptent cloudburst2 - made in the USA for $260

http://www.tarptent.com/cloudburst2.html

And if you really want to go with the best of single wall have a look here

www.integraldesigns.com

December 22, 2014
Quick Reply