Light cook set for MSR XGK

12:54 a.m. on July 15, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

I'm looking to buy 4-5 MSR XGKs for my scout troop and I need to find a light weight nesting cook set that the stove fits into (i.e. sigg )

6:06 p.m. on July 16, 2009 (EDT)
65 reviewer rep
170 forum posts

I haven't try it out but I can't see why it won't fit into any of the MSR sets - Baseā„¢ 2 Pot Set, the Flex 3 and so on - What about getting into a shop and try it out? well, also without trying it should fit...

3:18 a.m. on July 24, 2009 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

Have to ask-why are you buying XGKs? These are not a suitable stove for scouts IMHO. They are a high altitude mountaineering expedition stove and as far as I'm concerned, a specialty item for people who know what they are doing. If you are familiar with it, then you know it has only two settings-off and full blast. There is nothing subtle about it and to call what you can do with it "cooking" is stretching the definition pretty far. Not to mention they cost around $150.

I have one, plus a bunch of other stoves. There are far better choices for scouts than this stove, including some of MSR's other stoves. If you need a multi-fuel stove, the Whisperlite Internationale would be a better choice. I don't even take mine winter camping. I use an Optimus Nova or a Coleman Xtreme.

Liquid fuel stoves in the hands of kids seems like a really bad idea. A canister stove, especially one that runs with a separate canister would seem to me a better choice.

The Sigg kit is designed for the SVEA 123 and isn't made anymore as far as I know. I have one of those and the 123 as well.

September 2, 2014
Quick Reply