GPS units

8:36 p.m. on July 18, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,123 forum posts

I am stumped, I think I would like to try a GPS device, but am not sure which one I want/need more? I don't really want to spend more than $150 and I see many devices around that range.

I saw one of the SPOT ones in a local store today and think maybe thats all I need? Mainly something to log my where-abouts and give my relatives the peace of mind that I can check in every once in a while so if they need to they can see on a map where I am and if I get lost, get hurt or something can send a beacon out for help?

And the SOT device says if you sign up for a 2 year plan the cost of the device is rebated back?

Help?

10:04 p.m. on July 18, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

Hay Gary

The problem I found when I bought my GPS was in the lower priced units are limited in amenities, display quality and battery longevity. A SPOT device is in a way a different animal, a animal in the same family but a different animal none the less. A GPS you are able to do things like geocaching which can be kind of fun.

12:53 a.m. on July 19, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,123 forum posts

Well the more I think about it the more I think I will stay will my 40 year old Brunton Boy Scout compass and the sun, moon, stars and stick shadow data...

11:57 a.m. on July 19, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

Gary not that you should the map & compass home, you should allways carry them. But a GPS can be fun in itself and goes much further than tracking you progress making & way points i mean you can do that just as accurately on a map if you gave good map & compass skills. My recommendation for you would be do some research and buy a used one at a good price or barrow one from someone. And try some basic stuff like recording your own tracks and geochaching which I thing fun if you like puzzles that make you think.

11:46 p.m. on July 25, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

I have an older eTrex (OG yellow version-no maps) and don't use it much. I like topo maps (though I'm far from expert w/ map and compass) but the on-screen displays/maps of most GPS units i've seen seem to lack detail and haven't made me want to drop the coin to upgrade so far. Am I missing something? I plan to carry map and (at least basic) compass regardless.

CPW

12:29 a.m. on July 26, 2009 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
983 reviewer rep
3,475 forum posts

Get a good solid understanding of map and compass first, work on those skills first.

GPSR's do not always work, the batteries can die, you can have problems with a signal at times etc. A GPSR can not do for you what a good 7.5 minute topo can, a good topo gives you a large overview of what is around you. The GPSR can pinpoint your location for you, and that can be reasurring, but you still need navigation skills with a topo.

If you do not first develop good map and compass skills the GPSR will not be as usefull to you as most people think. The newer GPSR's are nice, but I would not rush into one.

10:52 a.m. on July 26, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,123 forum posts

Personally I still prefer my own map and compass skills I learned in Boy Scouts 40 years ago. I usually navagate by the sun and shadows for directions. I still have my old Boy Scout compass I recieved as a addition to a map and compass merit badge I got as a 13 year old boy.

I can still trianglate where I am on a map and find my way just fine.

12:26 a.m. on July 27, 2009 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
563 reviewer rep
286 forum posts

I've owned a GPSr since 2001 and carry one everywhere (though it's mostly for geocaching). Still, it comes in handy, especially to mark a trail head and the like. I've used it to navigate cross country in the desert, too, using add on topo maps. Current GPSr cannot send a signal, so won't work for alerting others to your location.

August 23, 2014
Quick Reply