Dana TerraFrame TerraPlane Waist Belt Help Needed

5:16 p.m. on July 21, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

I am hoping that someone can help me. I have an opportunity to purchase a Dana TerraFrame external frame pack, size large. The only problem is that it comes with a medium waist belt, and I need a large waist belt.

I have an aging Dana TerraPlane internal frame pack with a size large belt. The pack bag itself is showing signs of wear, but the belt is still in fine condition.

My question: Does ANYONE know if the waist belt from my TerraPlane internal frame is compatible with the TerraFrame external frame? Any information or advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

Many thanks!

5:45 p.m. on July 23, 2009 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
613 forum posts

If, it's an original Bozeman-made Dana, you might call Mystery Ranch and ask Dana, but he is most likely at the OR show until this weekend.

You "might" be able to rig a Kifaru waistbelt on it, the one I have is a "Longbed Loadmaster" and the waist belt is integral with the packbag. I have tried to find the "Longbed" frame in large/large, made in Bozo as that is THE ONLY external I will even consider wearing now...and I have had them all; however, they are not easy to come by.

So, call "Big D" next week and see what he says....I have been harassing MR for some time to re-introduce the "Terraframe" and I have had nine Dana packs, still have seven, he makes simply fabulous packs, only Dan McHale is equal, IMHO.

3:35 a.m. on July 25, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Thanks so much for the information, and the suggestion. I appreciate your help.

10:05 p.m. on July 26, 2009 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,295 forum posts

While at the Outdoor Retailer Show this past week, I asked Marmot, the owner of the Dana trademarks and pack designs from the Dana Designs days (the Bozeman operation). If you contact their warranty and repair department, they will have you send the pack to them. If it is repairable, they will do so (it is probably long out of warranty, and so would fall under "repair"). If it is unrepairable, they will offer the same deal as with Marmot-branded gear, namely a trade-in (I took advantage of this with my 12-year old Alpinist 3 jacket).

Marmot still manufactures the Terraplane and other Dana Designs packs, but now as the Marmot Terraplane, etc. While some of us feel that the original Dana-designed and manufactured gear is superior to the Marmot-manufactured versions of the same gear, Marmot does make good quality gear and does good repair work.

I looked for Dana Gleason at the OR Show, but he did not have a booth, and I did not spot him wandering around.

I also talked to Kelty, since they made packs for a while with Mystery Ranch suspensions. However, since they severed relations with Mr. Gleason and the licensing agreement expired, they will only service the Kelty packs made with the Mystery Ranch suspensions, not other MR packs.

September 18, 2014
Quick Reply