tent fabrics?!

12:28 a.m. on August 1, 2009 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
63 forum posts

Does anyone know the MOST waterproof tent fabric that won't cost me a king's ransom?

I am thinking about making a tent and I am putting together some prices. Condensation won't be an issue but weight is. The lighter the better.

On a side note, is Tyvek 1443 waterproof?

10:39 a.m. on August 1, 2009 (EDT)
10 reviewer rep
471 forum posts

http://www.warmlite.com/prices.htm

Look down the page to MATERIALS. I suspect silnyl will be your best bet. Stephensons makes light weight tents from the material. One caution. It is slippery and nothing sticks to it: water, dirt or you. It is an adventure as the bottom layer. A few streaks of seam sealing makes it less of a slide problem.

Tyvek is a good construction product. Not the best ground cloth as it is heavy and until beaten up, not that flexible. I understand it is not waterproof under a pressure test.

Do a Google search on "silicone nylon fabric" for other sources. We used blue. I read that mosquitoes were attracted to blue. Better the tent than me. A lighter fabric (yellow) gives you more light inside. A darker fabric makes you less visible. I'd rather have the light.

Hint: Find the poles you want to use and build the tent to fit. When I made our tents (loooong time ago), I made a mockup of the tent's seams using cord (assuming you are not building a hoop tent). Then, I had a basement with exposed beams and cinder blocks to hold the ends on the floor. When I got the shape (including built in sag for the material - especially on the bias) and size I wanted, measured and cut to fit.

BIG HINT: Cheaper to buy already built.

11:50 a.m. on August 1, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,072 forum posts

How about aircraft Titanium! :)

2:39 p.m. on August 1, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

Hay how about a vinyl bubble lol just busting on you Kmarr.

Sooner or later every thing is going to leak, with technology today fabrics are getting lighter and mire durable, waterproof etc. but I think you are looking for a happy medium. Every one states they have the best product truth be known there mostly about the same, good points & bad points. My philosophy is you take care of it it will take care of you. A lot of the better name brand's are expensive but its not due to special space aged materials its mostly the name. I like Eureka there a good product they stand behind the product and they have good prices but nothing lasts forever.

Hay I just had a thought you live in N.Y. right I think you said around the Albany area. If you could find a couple of friends that want a good tent for cheap. Take a trip to Binghamton to Eureka's factory outlet. There you can get there products for very very cheap prices they sell new, returned, seconds, damaged, etc every thing. All of them will be fully functional and have the same warranty, what you normally will see is seconds have IE one panel of mesh on the tent the wrong color, Used the tent wad used for a display, returned is just that, Damaged maybe when it got shipped a pole got bent or something was missing etc but all have been repaired to new spec. When I was in the boy scouts many years ago we bought all of our tents there and we never had a problem with them they even donated us a couple of extra frames just encase. We did get pretty wild sometimes or kind of rough in the setup & take down. It may be worth a trip or you could call them for some info but I don't think they do web sales on the items I was explaining for obvious reasons.

July 25, 2014
Quick Reply