GoLite pack

4:55 p.m. on August 12, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
8 forum posts

I'm thinking about getting the Golite Pinnacle pack. It seems to get good reviews and it's very light. Others in my price range are in the attached image. I plan to do some hiking on the AT in Virginia in October (3-5 days max) as well as possibly in Denali National park next May. To me, just looking at the specs, getting the Golite seems like a great choice. Can anyone explain to me what they see as the pros and cons of the other packs compared to the Golite? I'm assuming I will sacrifice some durability and maybe some functionality but i'm not sure how much of each. Any input would be great. Thanks.

5:22 p.m. on August 12, 2009 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,348 forum posts

I have a old Golite Gust pack, it weighs one pound empty, I also use a Golite Tent and Sleeping bag. My total pack,tent and bag weight can be about 6 pounds without food, water and other gear.

5:50 p.m. on August 12, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

The only thing I can say about go lite is that I have never heard anything bad about there gear period. And there gear is very light weight but very durable.

9:27 a.m. on August 13, 2009 (EDT)
130 reviewer rep
130 forum posts

The Pinnacle takes some getting used to. When I first bought mine, I hated it, but after using it extensively for spring hiking I grew to like it a lot more. If you're interested...here's a short post about it.

http://sectionhiker.com/2009/04/20/golite-pinnacle-backpack-a-second-look/

1:32 p.m. on August 13, 2009 (EDT)
65 reviewer rep
170 forum posts

Is the rest of your gear is ultralight? if not then what's the point with a golite pack? Other then that it's a great pack.

2:27 p.m. on August 13, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
8 forum posts

I'm just now accumulating gear, and i'm trying to keep it light. I'm not worried about ounces here and there like the ultralight hikers but i'm definitely avoiding things that are heavy. I'm not going to pick a pack that's heavier than I need. I may not be going ultralight with all of my gear but that doesnt mean I want to carry around any unecessary weight. If it's a great pack, and it's light, i'd rather carry it around than one of the heavier ones unless there are lots of other benefits to the other packs, which was my original question. Thanks for all the responses. I'm just about sold on this thing.

2:38 p.m. on August 13, 2009 (EDT)
65 reviewer rep
170 forum posts

I'm not sure but I would think that golite will be a great pack if you carry around 6-8kg with you. Looking on light packs such as the Gregory z55 than what you get is a pack with a frame that will carry very well up to around 15-16kg. I would try to cut weight on many things but think that if you have a pack that can make 10-15kg feels very good/light then why not?

2:54 p.m. on August 16, 2009 (EDT)
44 reviewer rep
246 forum posts

My current pack is the gregory Z55, but I have some down quilts from GoLite. My take on them has been that they are ok, but the quality doesn't match the price (I bought them on sale because I suspected as much).

I would expect the same out of most of their products... it's hard to make something lighter without making it less durable, so if you're looking for a sturdier pack and aren't so concerned about weight, it might not be your best bet.

8:06 p.m. on August 16, 2009 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
699 forum posts

All of my Golite products have been comparable to my Hilleberg products - just much, much lighter. I have had my Jam 2 with Dyneema through thicket and not a scratch. It is ultralite bombproof. No joke. Plus the Jam 2 is 60% less weight than your Z55!

8:11 p.m. on August 16, 2009 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
699 forum posts
Golite Pack

I'm not sure but I would think that golite will be a great pack if you carry around 6-8kg with you. Looking on light packs such as the Gregory z55 than what you get is a pack with a frame that will carry very well up to around 15-16kg. I would try to cut weight on many things but think that if you have a pack that can make 10-15kg feels very good/light then why not?

Because it DOES make a difference on your musculature. The fact remains that light weight is less taxing on your body than heavier weight, even if your pack FEELS good. Science does not lie.

10:15 p.m. on August 16, 2009 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,556 forum posts

I would say that your outdoor gear is a system. Each peice should compliment the others as much as possible. One thing I would avoid is putting gear that is not ultralight, into an ultra light pack.

The pack needs to offer enough support to haul your gear comfortably, if you have light or ultralight gear the pack can be a light pack, if you have traditional weight gear you will suffer trying to use a pack not designed to carry some weight.

Some of your weight is going to be determined the length of your trip in the form of food and other supplies you have to carry, some of it will be determined by the climate or season in which you choose to travel, warmer clothes or heavier bag etc.

A lot of your weight is going to be determined by the gear you choose of course, and to some extent your weight is determined by your mindset, I mean what items you can do without and leave behind.

Golite makes good products, but they are designed for a specific purpose...to go light!

11:08 p.m. on August 16, 2009 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
63 forum posts

I have a golite Quest mostly because it was 50% OFF!!! I was determined to get a golite pack but it was a tough decision which one. The pinnacle is just a larger jam right? I don't know what space age material it is made of but I hear it is quite indestructable. Definitely worth the money. Slash weight anywhere you can! it makes for a more enjoyable experience.

I think the quest is geared towards people that were planning to do some winter mountaineering. its a 72 liter and weighs 3lbs 4oz and it has tool loops and the straps are made to connect a snowboard or skis. If you don't plan on doing these things, don't buy a pack designed for it, just extra dead weight. I overlooked that when I bought the Quest. So I'm currently working on making my own approx 80L technical pack that is(hopefully) gonna weigh under 1lb 10 oz(which is the jam's wieght) for around $25.

If anyone here finds themselves day dreaming their work hours away about how they can save weight, you should draft plans for your own pack and recruit the family seamstress to bring the dream to life! some 80L's are 6 lbs, if you can get one to weigh 2lbs...more power to ya!

oh, and buy the pinnacle!

12:30 p.m. on August 17, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
8 forum posts

Just bought the Pinnacle in Sapphire for $120 from travelcountry. Could have gotten it for $115 at SunnySports but didnt want the red one! Looking forward to trying it out and staying as light as possible!...thanks everyone

12:45 a.m. on August 18, 2009 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
134 forum posts

My Pinnacle is great for high volume, lightweight loads. But it will reach a point (I think in the 30-35# range) where you can start feeling it bend in the middle, and weight goes from your hips to your shoulders. It might have helped if I had been smart enough to tighten down the compression straps to stiffen it. I recently cut a piece of coroplast and stuck it in with the foam backpad. My son carried 30-35# in it for 4 days and never complained, but he's pretty strong. Or the coroplast worked.

Overall, I like it a lot.

8:59 p.m. on August 18, 2009 (EDT)
65 reviewer rep
168 forum posts

Like CWM said, science does not lie. You just have to use all the science that applies.

In this case, it is not just ounces or kilos, as in "give me the lightest pack that will hold the volume I need." A suspension that is designed for 20 lbs will cause more musculo-skeletal strain if you put 30 lbs in it, than the suspension designed for 30 lbs. Even though the 30 lb suspension weighs more!

If you are going to fill the volume of a large pack with 20 lb suspension, you better fill it with ultralight equipment that has a low ounce per cubic inch ratio. Because if you fill, say, a 50 liter volume with standard weight gear, in a pack designed for no more than 25 lbs, you are going to hurt.

Case in point: I have a Gregory G Pack. It is great for anything up to around 30 lbs. Get over that and it simply does not perform well, and I feel worse at the end of the day than if I had used my Carson ex. frame which weighs 2 lbs more. Same gear, same load, but 2 lbs heavier because the pack is heavier; but more comfort. For loads which are within design specs, give me the lighter pack every time.

If I had to choose either the G Pack or the Carson, I would choose the Carson because I can carry light loads with less strain in a heavier pack, than heavier loads in a lighter pack. But thank God I can have more than one pack!

(I've got a JanSport Himalaya int frame pack that can carry monster loads that I wouldn't carry in the Carson. Great suspension! But the thing weighs 7 lbs empty! I only get it out when I really, really need it, like with winter camping gear.)

(I'm not hooked on JanSport, btw; it just turned out that way. I still mourn the demise of my old Trailwise ex. frame pack, truth be known, and replaced it with the Carson largely due to price. It has turned out to be a good pack and I am very happy with it after all. But oh, that Trailwise pack -- how I wish they were still in business. It's like they stopped making Cadillacs and you could only get Chevys -- you could be happy with a Chevy, but it's no Cadillac.)

11:55 p.m. on November 8, 2009 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
10 forum posts

I have a GoLite -not too bad, works fine and good back support but gawd it isnt waterproof or anything. I had my stuff soaked. That said, it is not supposed to be water resistant as far as I know so now I do have a cover for it.

December 20, 2014
Quick Reply