Makeshift / Homemade Gear

2:37 a.m. on August 17, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

What gear are your carrying in your pack that is homemade, makeshift or modified?

I have a aluminum disk that is 5 1/2“ X 1/4” that I use as a simmer plate for my titanium cook-set. It nests inside my cook-set and I use it for things that I want an evenly distributed heat like eggs etc.

1:19 p.m. on August 19, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
89 forum posts

It looks like Twister Game makes a nice Ground Sheet. I have not tried it yet but felt it when my daughter was playing with her friend today. It should work out great. A friend gave me tuna can with corregated cardboard rolled tight and parafin wax melted into it. Small wick in center of it all. Great light,firestarter or mini stove.

4:06 p.m. on August 19, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

..... tuna can with corregated cardboard rolled tight and parafin wax melted into it. .....

I remember making them when I was in the boy scouts and then my dad kept on in the trunk of the car along with some other miscellaneous just encase items. Also they are reusable just scrape the wax off the cardboard and re-light.

5:55 p.m. on August 19, 2009 (EDT)
4 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

Hi All: I use a homemade pepsi can stove, a homemade tarp of lightweight acetate with reenforced patches for tie downs, a modified external frame pack with home made waiste belt and sternum strap and I've chopped some weight by using alum. arrow shafts for tent pole sections. They can be used with or without shockcord. I described the stove and potstand and windscreen in a DIY review.

9:20 p.m. on August 22, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
19 forum posts

My trail is my home.

Stove was makeshift (a few rocks and a pile of wood)
Groundsheet was makeshift (made from interlocking palm leaves)
Cups were makeshift (a short piece of thick bamboo)
Plates were makeshift (banana leaves)
Mosquito repellent and medicines (picked from the jungle)
Hunting weapons were makeshift (vine and bamboo - did not catch anything)

Learned how to build a nomadic hut from branches and leaves. Didn't sleep in it though :)

September 17, 2014
Quick Reply