choice of stove

12:19 p.m. on August 17, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
7 forum posts

hi

i read a lot of review about stove, all seem to have problem

for every product, i seem somebody have problem with it and destroy them ...

i travel in different area in the world so i need something who will be able to support different kind of liquid/gas and who will be able to run under 0 degre

any suggestion of stove for me?

thanks

12:37 p.m. on August 17, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

Welcome to Trailspace collinm

A Priums OmniFuel is a good quality product that will burn just about anything you put in it and also works in cold weather. You could also possibly a Trangia Sprite Burner and Mini Windscreen as a back-up.

Note there is no absolute product sooner or later you will find one that doesn't work well.

2:26 p.m. on August 17, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
7 forum posts

i checked theses model

primus omnifuel (newer than primus multifuel?)

primus Gravity II MF

Optimus Nova +

BRUNTON Vapor AF All

Coleman Exponent Fyrestorm TI

all seem to have many default...

5:18 p.m. on August 17, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

Nothing is perfect but a lot of it has to do with how you care for the item.

6:59 p.m. on August 17, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
223 forum posts

How about an Optimus 111?

8:33 p.m. on August 17, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
7 forum posts

too heavy

8:47 p.m. on August 17, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
7 forum posts

if somebody have one of them can you describe the default...

8:50 p.m. on August 17, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

Apparently he wont be satisfied with any thing, there is NO perfect stove year round, all weather, all altitude friendly, last forever stove. There is not one that will never ever give you a problem once and a while. If there was such of a perfect stove most of us would already have one and all the other stove company's would be out of the business of manufacturing stoves.

You can read the reviews here and ask for advice and we would like to help you as far as reviews go. Read between the lines there a bunch of gear reviews on this sight that are not fair to the manufacture and the item being reviewed, when it is used beyond its intended means or in a improper manor.

8:56 p.m. on August 17, 2009 (EDT)
65 reviewer rep
168 forum posts

I would be happy with either the Optimus Nova or the MSR XGK EX for the kind of conditions you describe. If you take care of them, they will take care of you. Naturally something may go wrong with any stove at some time. This is often due to user error although people who post gripes on the internet usually don't admit that. Both of these are rugged, proven performers that can use a variety of fuels. Just be sure and strain the worst of the rocks out of the kerosene you get in the back-of-beyond. :-)

9:42 p.m. on August 17, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
7 forum posts

all model i wrote seem to be used in extreme condition...

10:19 p.m. on August 18, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
246 forum posts

With the exception of a alcohol burner (which have no moving parts) all other stoves may malfunction, and all have pros and cons. I started hiking with a Trangia, and have now "upgraded" to a Primus Omnifuel. This is IMHO the most allround stove for all conditions, only drawback is the noise. Nothing beats the silence of a spirit-burner.

To make sure the Omni works, I have added in the bag a repair set of the most likely parts that may break. This gives ease of mind as to flanges leaking or the pump malfunctioning aso.

If I was keen on saving weight I would by a small cannister box stove like Pocket Rocket or similar. For hikes where I am alone in the summer this could save a pound or two, but as long as I have the dog to carry some of the stuff I do not care that much yet.

7:59 p.m. on August 20, 2009 (EDT)
65 reviewer rep
170 forum posts

I used the Omnifuel for years with nothing ever go wrong...simple cleaning ones every 2 weeks and that's about it...you just can't go wrong with it

10:57 p.m. on August 20, 2009 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

I have a bunch of stoves. I have a Nova, which has been troublesome, but seems to be okay now. The pump broke immediately and the stove clogs up easily. The fuel filter will freeze. The stove can be fairly easily dismantled with the tool that comes with it, but bring spare parts. I fixed the pump with epoxy-the pickup tube broke loose after a week.

I was thinking about getting an OmniFuel like Otto has. I also have an old XGK-very reliable, but not really a stove for cooking; more for boiling water since it only really has one setting-full blast. This is a good winter mountaineering stove. You could use it in cold weather and something like the Pocket Rocket or Primus Micron (got one of those too) the rest of the time.

1:48 p.m. on September 11, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

Any views on the bush buddy, no need to carry fuel?

3:36 p.m. on September 11, 2009 (EDT)
72 reviewer rep
311 forum posts

I always love to read the stove questions,and responses.Everything from big to light and from ultra light to huge and awesome.Bottom line has been stated.First off there is no one perfect stove and second there are as many opinions as there are stoves.The hardest thing,besides personal experiance,is wich to try.I have had very few stove problems over 40 years of useing them but iam very anal about service and maintinence.I have,in the field,seen some real stove abuse so remember that a lot of personal reviews are just that persons view of their experiance.Take it with a grain of salt.Good luck and remember to try to read many reviews and if you can get some hands on with the one you are thinking about.

4:46 p.m. on September 11, 2009 (EDT)
26 reviewer rep
241 forum posts

Four season, no moving parts...woodburners. Does not need much fuel (wood).

Bushbuddy, Littlebug, or make your own:

http://trailgear.org/

11:37 p.m. on September 11, 2009 (EDT)
72 reviewer rep
311 forum posts

Sorry Rambler but in the alpine zone wood burners dont do it.Neither in artic enviroments nor the high mountain ranges of the world.I am not saying they dont have a place with those enjoying using wood but even in some areas it is not allowed to burn wood due to the heavy volume of people.For most of those in this forum butane/propane white gas stoves are the go to equipment.There have been many bivies were not a chunk of wood was to be found,maybe in the days of wood shafted ice axes.ymmv

2:04 p.m. on September 12, 2009 (EDT)
42 reviewer rep
352 forum posts

I agree with ottostover: an alcool stove can go a long way for a solo hiker. It's a good one to start with. Compliment with a white gas stove for the winter and you can still use the alcool stove as a backup.

For group cooking i'd go with a dragonfly. I've had a fuel filter freeze in the winter though.

6:38 p.m. on September 12, 2009 (EDT)
26 reviewer rep
241 forum posts

I concede, Skimanjohn. I was envisioning hunkering down snowbound in the New England woods. The Coleman XTreme is supposed to be a good cold weather canister stove which is certainly easy to operate, but I find they tend to lose pressure in the cold when the fuel starts to run low. The old stand-by around here is the MSR Dragon Fly which is a multi-fuel stove. The main advantage is that the pressure can be pumped up by hand when needed. Alcohol does work in winter, but be sure to have a very efficient wind screen to concentrate the heat and keep the wind from blowing them out.

http://cascadedesigns.com/MSR/Stoves/Basecamp-Stoves/DragonFly/product

7:23 p.m. on September 12, 2009 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,501 forum posts

I'm still using the venerable MSR Whisperlite, I like white gas, mostly for economical reasons. I can backpack all year for about 4 -5 bucks.

I also have an Alcohol stove from when I was doing a little thru-hiking, and a wood stove that I use in some areas with good success, but as has already been pointed out, they will not work just anywhere.

Recently I've been looking at the Snow Peak Giga Power.

4:48 p.m. on September 13, 2009 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
301 forum posts

I'm with trouthunter... just returned to a MSR Whisperlite after shopping around. The International version of that will be multi-fuel as requested and maintain the simplicity/quality/price combination that makes the original such an iconic stove.

The Dragonfly is also worth mention (as some already have). It's multi-fuel as well... lighter... and simmers better (without practice). But, it bears a bit more of a price tag.

MSR stuff is great, well-engineered, no gimmicks, and solid customer service. Can't go wrong with one of their products, IMHO.

5:12 p.m. on September 13, 2009 (EDT)
63 reviewer rep
190 forum posts

I have a Snow Peak Gigapower, and it works fine for the applications that I need. It is easily augmented by high winds, but a simple wind shield solves that problem in a jiff. I am not going to the moon, don't have any plans on hiking Antarctica, and i'm in no hurry to summit Everest. The most important factors I put into a stove is durability, versatility, and "cooking" range. It's not all about getting water to boil quickly with me.

October 31, 2014
Quick Reply