hammock vs. tent

7:22 p.m. on August 18, 2009 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
63 forum posts

I had a spark of thought that led me thinking of turning my bug bivy idea into a hammock. This idea has NOT been thought all the way through. I am currently thinking of the pros and cons and the versatility of a hammock.

O yea, my original idea was to use a tarp for a floor and sew a net of no-see-um around it and have a tarp above it for weather protection. the tarp would be suspended by a rope between 2 trees. And I'd use clips to attatch the no-see-um to the tarp rope to keep it out of my face.

Any idears on the situation?

2:06 p.m. on August 24, 2009 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
9 forum posts

There are only 2 reasons to have a tent.

1. No trees or boulders to tie off to.

2. A new trail bunny just showed up.

#2 is irrelevant. Drag her in the hammock with you.

Dubya Dubya Dubya jungle hammock dot com.

6:46 p.m. on August 24, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

I myself like my tent and it is lighter than most hammocks but if you consider the weight of the sleeping pad as well it would be lighter.

9:43 p.m. on August 24, 2009 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,556 forum posts

There are only 2 reasons to have a tent.

1. No trees or boulders to tie off to.

2. A new trail bunny just showed up.

#2 is irrelevant. Drag her in the hammock with you.

DubyaDubyaDubyaDubyaDubyaDubya Dubya jungle hammock dot com.

Maybe you are trying to be humorous, but that seems to be an immature and closed minded point of view.

I use both hammocks and tents, along with tarps and bivies.

They all have their place and proper application.

6:29 p.m. on August 25, 2009 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,765 forum posts

I agree. Neither of these "reasons" is particulary useful or true. There are a lot of websites about hammocks and a number of people on TLB ([url=http://www.backpacking.net]www.backpacking.net) use them so you might ask there as well.

I've never had any interest in one myself. I've only been winter camping the past few years so a hammock would be of no use to me at all. I know some people do winter camp with one, but for winter with snow coming down, I like being in my tent.

December 20, 2014
Quick Reply