Tiny torso, long trip, please help!!

12:09 p.m. on August 20, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

Hi, so I'm about to go off to Nepal for three months on a program that includes a total of about three weeks of trekking, and all I'm allowed to bring with me is a backpack. The issue is that no backpack I've tried fits me. I have a 14 in. torso, which means there is all of an inch and a half of space between my the top of my hip bone and the bottom of my ribcage, and I am sway backed, so any pack that doesn't fit perfectly just sits on my upper butt and causes great pain. My program suggests we get a pack that's 4500-5000 cu. in., but that seems a bit absurd, especially if there's no pack that fits me perfectly, so I'm aiming around 3700-4100.

If anyone has any suggestions as to how to find a suitable pack, please help! I leave in two weeks and REALLY need a pack. Thanks!

12:22 p.m. on August 20, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

Welcome to Trailspace

The only thing I could suggest is a large youth pack. But what have you tried on so far.

2:45 p.m. on August 20, 2009 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
133 forum posts

REI makes a "youth" pack, by the name of "Passage" that is described as fitting somebody with a torso length between 14 - 19 inches and waist between 25 - 40 inches and has a volume of 3,967 cubic inches. Osprey also has a pack, called the "Ace" that has the same fit but has a volume of 2,900 cubic inches. I wasn't able to find anything else. Hope this is helpfull.

7:30 p.m. on August 20, 2009 (EDT)
65 reviewer rep
170 forum posts

I had in mind the Ace. You can also look into Gregory packs - Deva 60 or Deva 70 come in XS that should be good for 14-16in. You can also try http://www.cilogear.com/. This guy makes packs and maybe he will be able to help you. They are more alpine packs then backpacking but it should be alright for you (simply a simple pack with less stuff on it). You can try and call them and see what they have to say.

12:54 a.m. on August 21, 2009 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
692 forum posts

Contact Mystery Ranch (www.mysteryranch.com). They may have a solution for you.

August 31, 2014
Quick Reply