Gossamar Gear Mariposa Plus vs. Six Moon Design Starlite

3:36 p.m. on August 24, 2009 (EDT)
5 reviewer rep
39 forum posts

I’m in the market for a bag, and the two I’m looking at are the SMD Starlite (SMDS) and the GG Mariposa Plus (GGMP), but can’t decide. I like the option of stuffing unused clothing in the straps and the ability to string shock cord on the three panels of the GGMP, however I like the load lifters and the quoted cubic inches and maximum “comfortable” weight of the SMDS.

I’m planning on using this bag as a 3 season bag, and have a base weight of 13 pounds (on the heavy). I’m looking for something that can allow for me to hike 7-10 day section hikes with comfort and durability. Are the 200 cubic inch difference of the GGMP, and the lack of load lifters a feature which should make me think twice about this bag over the SMDS? Any ideas or experiences with these bags in these kinds of conditions?

10:27 a.m. on August 26, 2009 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
134 forum posts

My Mariposa is one of the most comfortable packs I own, now that I had it retrofitted with the aluminum stay. I took the same load, and moved it from the Mariposa, to my Jam 2, to my Exos 46, and the Mariposa was best, hands down (Exos was worst). With the curved stay and good packing, you don't notice the lack of load lifters. Never used the SMDS, although I have one of the SMD tents, and it's good quality.

9:23 p.m. on August 26, 2009 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
692 forum posts

2lbs on average per day x 10 days plus 1L of water and 13 pounds base weight. I would look at something with more of a frame.

3:05 p.m. on August 27, 2009 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
134 forum posts

I should also mention that I have never put socks in the straps or belt of my Mariposa. It's just simpler to leave the foam in there.

September 19, 2014
Quick Reply