About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Powdered Milk ?

2:51 p.m. on September 1, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

I am trying to save a couple of $$ here and there. I can get a box of for-say granola serial for about $5 that will make around 5 larger breakfasts and box of powered milk that will go a lot farther for around the same price. Verses a $5 granola & milk freeze-dried meal kit that only last me 2 breakfasts.

Does anyone here know of a brand of powdered milk that actually tastes like milk? The few that I have tried all taste like crap.

8:36 p.m. on September 1, 2009 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,219 reviewer rep
5,180 forum posts

You have probably been using the powdered skim milk and are used to drinking whole milk or 2% milk when buying milk in liquid form. There are several brands of powdered whole milk available and a couple of 2% available. REI used to carry the powdered whole milk (one brand a long time ago was called "Klim", which is "Milk" spelled backward). The thing you are missing in the skim milk is the butterfat - fat in foods usually gives the food a richer taste (why do you think all those "super burgers" feature bacon and ground chuck or ground round, which are high fat content?). Milkman is a product that is in many grocery stores that is 2%.

Big problem with having the fat in the milk is that it is much harder to dissolve, plus the fat will go rancid fairly quickly - you can't store the powder very long after opening the container. But one thing you can do that works passably well is to mix the skim powder with half again or twice as much of the powder. and be sure to mix it very vigorously and thoroughly.

Then again, if you were used to drinking skim milk, you wouldn't notice the lack of "richness" (i.e., FAT) as much. Adding some sugar helps, too, especially brown sugar, or honey, or molasses. Plus some people I know just eat the granola dry or with a bit of water to moisten it.

9:05 p.m. on September 1, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
64 forum posts

The aforementioned Milkman product is'nt half-bad if you are able to mix it in advance and chill it overnite in a stream or snowpack.Colder the better to hide its flaws.You'll have to dedicate a container to it though,your water will taste like crap afterwords.

10:57 p.m. on September 1, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
328 forum posts

When I went to the Philippines last year, my daughter, knowing that I love cereal for breakfast, gave me some single serving cereal boxes and some powdered milk to take with me. It was the Great Value brand from Wal Mart, and it was skim powdered milk, in the pouches that make 1 qt. I mixed it a little richer than the instructions indicated (probably twice as concentrated) and it was actually not too bad. I was pleasantly surprised.

11:48 p.m. on September 1, 2009 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
476 reviewer rep
283 forum posts

Milkman was great, but didn't the the company fold?

10:47 a.m. on September 2, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
3,917 forum posts

Just be careful, because liquified powdered milk can ferment like regular milk. I found this bicycle touring with it in one of my water bottles. I have'nt used dry milk in a while, but Milkman was my favorite for true milk taste too. And Butterbuds is a good tasting instant butter, tho I have bought any in about 30 years ago during my winter camping trips in Yosemite.

5:15 p.m. on September 2, 2009 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
884 reviewer rep
3,432 forum posts

I've been using Carnation instant milk, and one other brand whose name escapes me right now.

I like to make hot cereal and add fruit.

I've found that powdered milk is like instant hot chocolate (miss swiss, etc.), it is much better tasting to me while warm, in food I mean. I haven't tried it cold like whistlestop mentions, I'll give it a whirl this winter.

Also my daughter likes to take instant pudding.

11:16 p.m. on September 3, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

Thanks for the input guys.

11:38 p.m. on September 3, 2009 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
63 forum posts

I love the convenience of milk in powdered form, but if you're not using cold water you better plug your nose and down that bad boy right quick cuz it tastes like licking the inside of a trash can. These are my experiences with price chopper brand powdered milk.

Actually, I like to mix powdered milk with my hot green tea and it doesn't taste half bad. I bring this up because Trouthunter said it tastes better warm. so, I guess if it i between hot and cold, it tastes like trash to me!

11:54 p.m. on September 3, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

Yep I have tried the Price Chopper Brand and I concur its nasty but I wouldn't say as bad as licking a trashcan well maybe I have never licked a trashcan so ill have to take you word for it lol.

10:23 p.m. on September 4, 2009 (EDT)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

Try adding powdered creamer. I do this for every meal that calls for milk. Powdered milk and 2 spoonfulls of creamer makes a big differance.

6:22 p.m. on September 5, 2009 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
884 reviewer rep
3,432 forum posts

I'll give that a try mikemorrow, thanks for the tip!

10:59 p.m. on September 10, 2009 (EDT)
26 reviewer rep
241 forum posts
1:38 a.m. on September 11, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

Rambler

Thanks for the heads up ill give it a try.

7:04 a.m. on September 11, 2009 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
316 reviewer rep
655 forum posts

We can't get the nonfat milk here, only "Viking" dehydrated whole milk (produced by Nestle, owned by Philip Morris...). It's good stuff, but hard to mix. I use a 0.5 l bottle as a shaker, fill half full with water, add powder, shake like hell, then top it off. SHould work with other whole milk powders.

We need non-fat milk in my lab as a a cheap protein blocker for Western blotting, a method to detect specific proteins from cells -- we import Carnation from the US!

4:51 p.m. on October 16, 2009 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

For what it's worth, I think I have seen powdered soy milk products on the market too. Can't imagine the taste is any better though.

8:09 p.m. on November 12, 2009 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

I've tried many brands of powdered milk, and the only I liked is Milkman, but it went out of business. My second choice is Klim, made by Nestle, but am still trying to find it in the USA. It's sold overseas, and has to be mixed with hot water, which means it's not instant, unless you plan to use it for making hot chocolate. You can mix it the night before, refrigerate it, and by morning, it's cool enough to drink. I have yet to see any low fat 1% or 2% Klim, so it may need to be mixed with nonfat milk.

7:37 p.m. on November 20, 2009 (EST)
7 reviewer rep
134 forum posts

Klim, or its near identical twin Nido by Nestle' is my favorite. It is powdered whole milk. Look for it in ethnic (Asian, Mexican, Middle Eastern, etc.) supermarkets. Comes in can with a 1/4 or 1/3 cup scoop = to 1 quart milk when rehydrated.

2nd fav is Milkman. 2% lowfat powder milk. Comes in quart pouches. I see it at REI from time to time.

3:43 p.m. on December 11, 2009 (EST)
63 reviewer rep
123 forum posts

when we did our yellowstone trip last summer, i made all of our breakfasts at home in freezer bags; using either oatmeal or granola. added store brand powdered milk, a little powdered coffee creamer, and a some protein powder. throw in some various dried fruits, and turned out pretty darn good

April 16, 2014
Quick Reply