Turbo Tent or Kelty Shiro?

11:36 p.m. on September 2, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
8 forum posts

Hi,

I'm undecided. I'm looking for a family tent for 2 adults and 4 kids. I know I should choose an 8 person tent to sleep 6 people but since most will be kids I figured a 6 person tent would do. I'm interested in two tents but I can only choose one. I like the quick setup of the Turbo Tent but the Shiro 6 is an award winning tent and it looks great. I would think that Kelty is a better brand than Blackpine and I'd probably be happier with Kelty.

Any thoughts?

Rob

3:28 a.m. on September 3, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

Robster first off welcome to Trailspace

Now, I am a Kelty fan and from the looks of the two tents you may want the Kelty A) it is segregated kids on one side you on the other B) warranty C) quality. The black pine I cant say much about because I have never used or seen there products but I doubt they have the same warranty as Kelty. But it does have a awning and with Kelty it is a extra option. All in all I would go with the Kelty I have used and I own there products and i'm satisfied with there products.

3:32 p.m. on September 4, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
8 forum posts

Thanks. Im leaning towards kelty (because of their reputation) now but long does it typically take to set up? The turbo tent is said to set up in less than a minute.

8:51 p.m. on September 4, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

I guess a lot of it depends on how mechanically minded & coordinated you are. But I find it hard to believe that the turbo tent you referred to in your post takes less than 60 seconds to setup. I would take that amount of time just to stake it down.

9:55 p.m. on September 4, 2009 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,481 forum posts

I would tend to agree with mike068, I'm not familiar with the Turbo Tent, but I don't think any tent could be set up properly in 60 seconds. At least not any tent worth staying in.

I would also like to say that I have done business with Kelty, and they do seem to have good customer service, and have worked with me on a couple problems I had.

3:34 a.m. on September 15, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
8 forum posts

It seems like no one really knows about Turbo Tents. I'm not that mechanically retarded anyway so Kelty should be fine. Thanks guys.

September 23, 2014
Quick Reply