About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

world's family best backpack ?

7:32 p.m. on September 4, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
13 forum posts

i wonder what is indubitabley and by world consensus,almost,is the best family backpack; versatile,light,waterproof,adventurous looking and not necessarily cheap ?

8:25 p.m. on September 4, 2009 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
884 reviewer rep
3,432 forum posts

Very interesting way to start a food fight!

Seriously though, no such thing exists, although there are a few classic and time proven packs that might come close.

There are just too many variables to have a consensus on a single best pack.

8:47 p.m. on September 4, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

Every one is unique and everyone has different opinions son that note what I think is the worlds best all around pack will be different from what Trouthunter thinks is the worlds all around best etc. The biggest thing you have to consider when looking for a pack is Fit, Fit & Fit and of course the size needs to be able to carry the gear you want to bring. On that note a lot of us have more than one pack we have different size packs for different active's.

10:50 a.m. on September 5, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
13 forum posts

come on guys,some serious input,ok understand,may be your personal experiences (or those heard about ) of a 4 member family treck one day trip ,just your suggestions mates!.

12:18 p.m. on September 5, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

alaa el sheikh

You will under stand what we mean when you have carried a pack a few times fit is very important and in the fit proses torso length is critical and that differs for every one.

Backpacks are not like baseball caps one size fits all.

Buy the way the input we gave you is all serious and valid

3:32 p.m. on September 5, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
13 forum posts

cheers mike,i know you are serious,the problem is i live in a country where i could not try to fit backpacks,simply because they dont sell them in this country,then i am trying to get the experienced people deliver.i am almost 6 ft,strong and healthy with a back length of almost 32 inches ( large fit ),would this help ?

4:20 p.m. on September 5, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

Your back measurement in not an issue it is your torso length. See the link below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NiTtL-lZq8

You stated before that you want one pack for the whole family this is impossible because of body build, size, gender, height, width etc. See the link below for a basic description on how to fit a pack.

http://www.trailspace.com/articles/backpacks.html

After you get a better idea what you want then some people here can give you some input on final choices. Also if you buy from someplace like REI that has a top of the line return policy and customer service satisfaction policy you will have some flexibility.

You also have to decide form packs that are designed for heavy loads, light loads, sturdy structure (heaver), hot weather, cold weather then you have frame style to chose internal, external, hybrid.

Where do you live?

7:35 p.m. on September 5, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
13 forum posts

cuba

7:46 p.m. on September 5, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
13 forum posts

sorry mike, that 32 inches is my torso length measured as you described,i read the links you gave me i want not more than 2500 cubic inch internal filled pack,and i am in love with the arcteryx 40,which measures almost 43 litres- 3100 cu inches -(because i will need the taller version to match my torso size ),but it is not plane cabin accepted, i want the arrakis 40 that measures to the plane cabin.is it possible that i could ask arcteryx to build me one with these measures ( maximum of 40 cubic inches)? thanks a lot.

8:14 p.m. on September 5, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

You could ask but I don't think you they would do that. You may look into some of the cottage gear makers possibly some of the other members can direct you to some of them I don't know any

10:06 p.m. on September 5, 2009 (EDT)
72 reviewer rep
311 forum posts

Mchale makes custom packs but they are very price,$500.00 and up.What mike has said is spot on.Packs are like shoes there is no"perfect"pack for everyone.Many have lots of adjustments but must still be sized and fitted for your own needs,size and load to be carried.

11:17 p.m. on September 5, 2009 (EDT)
15 reviewer rep
204 forum posts

Since you are in Cuba, your best bet is to work with a Canadian outfitter. I'm American, so I can't really help you there.

(my airline flies to Cuba, by the way. We go to Holgien, Havana, and Santiago out of Miami)

3:47 p.m. on September 6, 2009 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,743 forum posts

I think you are way overestimating how much you can fit into a 2500 ci pack. I have used a pack about that size, maybe bigger, for day hiking in winter and that's just for my stuff. There are a lot of lightweight packs in that size range, many made by small companies that don't advertise much and can be found only on the internet.

I owned a big Arctery'x pack, the Bora 80, which I used once and sold because it didn't fit me right and was too heavy. Very well made, but not the pack for me. Other people love them.

If I was going with four people, everyone would have their own pack, even the kids, who could carry small packs with some food and maybe a jacket in them, if nothing else.

6:03 p.m. on September 6, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

Tom im not sure he is measuring his torso length correctly either. He is measuring it a 32" that would make him about 7 foot or more.

6:34 p.m. on September 6, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
13 forum posts

sorry guys, i alternated the torso measurement ,must be the kid screeming,mine is 23 inches not 32.i still love the arrakis supported with all the reviews i have read.i will be transit at amsterdam airport,does any one know if i could buy it there,or may be another decent brand.thanks.

7:06 p.m. on September 6, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

Can you purchase one by mail order?

11:29 p.m. on September 6, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
13 forum posts

yes, but not directly from the us,but canada or europe is possible

April 23, 2014
Quick Reply