About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Brunton Customer Service

6:14 p.m. on September 7, 2009 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
301 forum posts

Hey all,

Looking at a close-out Brunton stove. I've always bought MSR, but the price on this one is just plain great. I have no doubt in my ability to service and maintain the stove. But, as with any purchase, want to know how good the customer service is.

Anyone have any dealings with Brunton on the customer service end?

I have a junky compass from them lying around here someplace... but it hasn't required a call for service. :D

Thanks in advance!

7:33 p.m. on September 7, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

The only thing I can tell you is that I have a few Brunton products and they are decent product but I have never have had to deal with customer services.

3:14 a.m. on September 8, 2009 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,743 forum posts

What customer service? When I had a problem with my Optimus Nova, I emailed Brunton who was the US distributor and never heard back. I wound up contacting Optimus in Sweden and got an answer right away. Shortly after that, Brunton and Optimus parted ways. Based on that, no more Brunton products for me.

What stove is it? If they make a repair kit, I'd get one. Once you have an orphan, getting parts becomes problematical because the companies stop supporting them.

10:08 a.m. on September 8, 2009 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
301 forum posts

Rei Outlet has a great deal going on the Brunton Lander Dual Fuel. For the price, it seems like a solid bargain.

I had heard rumors of a lack o' service from Brunton. Am sad to hear that it is a reality. I have had nothing but great service from MSR (e.g., replaced an out-of-warranty pump, no cost). I do see that the whisperlites are on sale... maybe I'll just replace the one I gave to my brother.

11:24 p.m. on September 8, 2009 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
301 forum posts

The deed is done. A new Whisperlite is on the way (same one I gave to my brother)... Backcountry has them for 25% off currently.

2:01 a.m. on September 10, 2009 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
884 reviewer rep
3,432 forum posts

You know you can get fancier stoves, and different stove systems of course, but the whisperlight just keeps hangin' in there.

It's just a good dependable all around stove IMO.

Mine is almost 14 years old, sees heavy use, and no problems to speak of, just a little regular maintenance. I'm not saying it's the best, but a good, dependable stove for the money.

3:06 a.m. on September 10, 2009 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,743 forum posts

I have an old XGK-the round one from the mid 80's. When I needed some parts for it a few years ago, I looked for a repair kit and couldn't find one since the XGK has been updated and now looks totally different. I called MSR, explained to them what was wrong with it and they sent me the parts-no charge. MSR gets a five star rating from me for customer service and I've heard other good stories about them from other people.

The Brunton stoves look nice, but are heavy and pricey. That plus sketchy service is a good reason to get something else.

10:37 a.m. on September 10, 2009 (EDT)
72 reviewer rep
311 forum posts

I have one of those old XGK stoves also and it is still going strong,even using the original pump.Also the few times over the years that I have had to use MSR customer service it has been 5 stars.

10:39 a.m. on September 10, 2009 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
301 forum posts

I'm a believer in the MSR company. Just always willing to try something different.

I backpacked/camped a Whisperlight for five years through high school and college. Then, graduate school/kids/marriage intervened and I ended up giving it to my brother. He has since put many more miles and hours on to that little stove.

When I pulled it out of the bag to check its condition before passing it on, I popped open the pump to check the seal. To my surprise the tabs that locked the top of the pump onto the body snapped! I figured I'd just send it in to MSR and have them clean it up and throw a new top on it. To my surprise, after I sent the pump to Seattle, I got a phone call from them telling me that they had an entirely new pump model that solved a lot of problems, including what had happened to me. A week later, a brand-new pump shows up on my doorstep... no charge.

That kind of customer service is rare these days. And, a large reason why I asked the question about Brunton's service. If they aren't going to keep pace with MSR, I know where I will be giving my business.

My second Whisperlite should be in tomorrow!

April 24, 2014
Quick Reply