Boots for Trees?

8:56 p.m. on September 15, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
48 forum posts

Hi! New here.

Quick run down.......

I am an arborist who wears hikers for work. I am TOUGHon boots. They will see every weather condition, tree bark, metal, machinery, grease, gas, oil, sharp objects etc etc etc.

I have tried EMS Summitt II (lasted 1 year, still wear them for yard work, light hikes, etc), Asolo 520 (lasted 6 months soles started to seperate), and now I am wearing Asolo powermatic 500 (olive green version, 2 weeks old. EMS let me trade in the 520's for these!).

I need a boot that is super tough, really comfortable (I will be in them 8-10 hours a day minimum), waterproof, and stiff enough to comfortably wear climbing spikes when neccesary. I seem to be drawn toward leather boots for some reason?

What do you recommend and why?

Thanks!

9:27 p.m. on September 15, 2009 (EDT)
42 reviewer rep
352 forum posts

I got the same problem tree-planting, all my stuff gets destroyed. The toughest set-up i've seen was a pair of Scarpa Inverno. They lasted 3 seasons and were still going strong. The guy had them spiked at a specialty store for 150$. The best caulks boots you can get IMO, but not cheap. I've seen a few other planters with them and they seem to work real well.

1:31 p.m. on September 16, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

I don't know if this helps but I am a heavy truck & equipment mechanic by triad and for work I swear by Wolverine's I go through about a pair about every 2 1/2 years and they see every thing from water, acidic liquids, grease, oil, fuels, you name it and every pair has held up well to the torture I have given to them after im done using them at work ill keep a pair around the house for those nasty jobs at home. I normally buy a pair that cost around $115-$145 They are very comfortable on my feet and give me good service.

8:46 p.m. on September 16, 2009 (EDT)
110 reviewer rep
762 forum posts

Have you looked into Danner's? They are made in the USA, and Danner even has a reconstruction program to keep older boots going strong year after year.

10:06 p.m. on September 16, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
48 forum posts

Thanks for the replies guys!

I am looking for more of a backpacking mountaineering style boot. For my WorkBoots I will only put Wesco's (WestCoastShoe.com) on my feet. best boots made!

Just for a visual, here is what I am wearing now.

http://images.usoutdoorstore.com/usoutdoorstore/products/full/asolo_powermatic500_olv.jpg

12:25 a.m. on September 17, 2009 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
13 forum posts

try the ll bean crestas. they're gore-tex, leather, and by far the most comfortable thing ive ever put on my feet. they have very little break in time and can handel just about anything. they're about $175, but easily worth the investment.

September 1, 2014
Quick Reply