titanium single wall cup 450

1:11 p.m. on September 17, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Can I put my titanium cup directly on the flame of a Snowpeak Giga Power stove? The directions say "no." Bummer. It seems so simple to heat a cup of water for coffee or tea. Have you done it? Did it work without your cup exploding or melting or whatever?

4:32 p.m. on September 17, 2009 (EDT)
42 reviewer rep
352 forum posts

I never tried it with titanium but my experience is, as long as there is something in the pot it never gets very hot. I cook with really cheap and thin aluminum pots (the kind you need to reshape when they get out of the pack) on an MSR XGK and never melted one.

9:42 p.m. on September 17, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,136 forum posts

I still use my old steek Sierra cup that I have had for 34 years. It has gotten a little blackened from campfires but still works. I don't see why a single wall cup made of the lightest of hard metals should be hurt. Look at the manufacturers site about it. not sure.

10:06 a.m. on September 18, 2009 (EDT)
65 reviewer rep
168 forum posts

I have used a titanium Sierra cup on a GigaPower stove for a quick brew-up. Don't turn the flame too high -- it won't take long anyway so why be in a hurry? On a moderate flame, the cup will never get any hotter than the water in it. On a high flame, you can create hot spots. I'm not sure why that would be a problem with titanium, which they use for jet engines, but if you go with a moderate flame, then no worries. You can boil water in a paper cup if you take it slow because the flash point of paper is higher than the boiling point of water.

10:35 a.m. on September 18, 2009 (EDT)
72 reviewer rep
311 forum posts

There are different "grades" of ti just like any other metals.The ti used for back pack gear is not only very thin but of lower quality than that used in jet engines and aero space technology.It can warp badly.How ever like anything with a little caution you will be ok.Myself i very much dislike drinking out of metal cups.In summer i use a small plastic measureing cup and in winter a plastic insulated,with lid,mug.ymmv

1:41 p.m. on October 1, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
19 forum posts

Mine is Evernew Ti cup 400(single wall), I always put it on the stove and heat my drinks for breakfast. I think it is no problem but be care of hot.

btw, if your cup's handle clad by plastic, you can't turn high flame.

2:44 p.m. on October 1, 2009 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,287 forum posts

Brerarnold,

The reason you get hot spots with titanium pots and cups is the same reason titanium is used in jet engines and other locations involving high temperatures - titanium is a very poor conductor of heat. Because it is such a poor conductor, for cooking pots it must be very thin, which means that the only heat getting through is in the area directly in contact with the flame of your stove. This is not a bother if you are boiling water or something with a lot of liquid, but it makes it easy to burn things to the bottom of the pot directly over the flame. And it makes for serious problems when melting snow or ice for water - make sure you have some liquid water before putting the snow or ice in a Ti pot, and add the snow very slowly. I made the mistake of scorching a Ti pot while telling my companions to have liquid water before dumping the snow in, but was so distracted with telling them what to do, that I didn't do it myself - everything cooked in that pot for the rest of the trip had a horrible scorched taste!

3:38 p.m. on October 17, 2009 (EDT)
6 reviewer rep
19 forum posts

I have been boiling water in a single wall Snow peak "cup" a 600 for several years -it is may main pot for solo walks-with out any problems I wouldn't drink in it straight from the stove though,let it cool for a few minutes and have a look at the scenery

August 30, 2014
Quick Reply