Left handed Sporks?

12:47 a.m. on October 15, 2009 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,284 forum posts

What exactly makes a utensil right or left handed, as in the blog about the left handed spork?

7:11 a.m. on October 15, 2009 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
715 reviewer rep
3,157 forum posts

If you're a leftie and using a standard/right-handed spork, the serrated knife edge would be on the top of your utensil while eating. You'd have to flip it around every time you wanted to cut something, then flip it back to use the spoon, etc...

Of course, individual knives, spoons, and forks are all right- and left-handed already!

8:24 a.m. on October 15, 2009 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,504 forum posts

The left handed sporks rock, then again I'm biased.

11:30 a.m. on October 15, 2009 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,284 forum posts

So should'nt it be called a spoknifork? My spork has the fork points coming out of the spoons end.

12:09 p.m. on October 16, 2009 (EDT)
63 reviewer rep
190 forum posts

ummm.

5:24 p.m. on October 16, 2009 (EDT)
65 reviewer rep
168 forum posts

"The last thing we need is a left-handed monkey wrench."

-- Bob "Ace" Weir

9:42 a.m. on October 17, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
415 forum posts

I think if Jimi Hendrix could play a Stratocaster upside down, I could adjust to turning my Spork over.

6:36 p.m. on October 17, 2009 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,504 forum posts

I think everyone should disclose whether they are right handed or left handed before giving their opinion!

You right handers have enough control in the world as it is. HaHa!

7:14 p.m. on October 17, 2009 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
715 reviewer rep
3,157 forum posts

I think everyone should disclose whether they are right handed or left handed before giving their opinion!

You right handers have enough control in the world as it is. HaHa!

True. I'm a rightie, but married to a leftie, so I can sympathize vicariously. My leftie husband also was intrigued as soon as I told him about a left-handed spork.

Maybe all we righties should try using only left-handed sporks to get a true appreciation...

11:26 p.m. on October 17, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
415 forum posts

Wow, Trailspace now has a left-handed controlling interest!

My mom and dad are both lefties but I'm the only one they passed it on to, but I'm not a "true" leftie: I have more dexterity on the left and more physical strength on the right, so I want to write left-handed and swing a hammer right-handed (though I'm so bad at both it would hardly matter if I switched.)

My mom has this fancy faucet in her kitchen that nobody else can ever figure out how to turn on. "Oh, that's because it's left-handed," she says with the glee of somebody avenging nearly 70 years of oppression.

8:05 a.m. on October 18, 2009 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
715 reviewer rep
3,157 forum posts

Wow, Trailspace now has a left-handed controlling interest!

As long as you don't make me sit at a little left-handed school desk or use leftie notebooks or something, I think we'll be all set.

So, lefties, is there any other gear you wish was designed for lefties?

9:20 a.m. on October 18, 2009 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,504 forum posts

Well Alicia, I have gotten used to using things the way they are, a lot of this is just muscle memory I think. There are a lot of things that could be designed for lefties that we have learned to use as is.

OTOH, I can think of several things that would work better for me if designed for lefties, although I don't dwell on it.

Pocket T-shirts.....pocket is actually on the wrong side.

The zippered security pocket on my Columbia pants is on the wrong side for me really, especially when my hands are cold, my left hand just has better fine motor control.

I would extend this to sleeping bag zippers and such.

Wrist watches, altimeters, etc. in some cases.

Stoves that have controls off to the side.

The fingernail slot / grip in the side of pocket knife blades.

Knife sheathes for single edge blades are almost always designed for right side carry!!!! Even when you hang a small one from your neck bush craft style, it is annoying.

I could go on, but actually, if these things were to change tomorrow it would mess me up because I have been using these things as is.

In theory left handed stuff may would work better for me, but at this point it would require adjustments in most cases. The 'Light My Fire' sporks are something that caught my eye because I have not yet developed muscle memory with these, and a left handed one would be practical.

Oh, yes...my journal, I have to write in it backwards to keep my hand away from the metal spiral binder if I use the standard type, I prefer the type with the binder on top, so no biggie. The ones that are just bound with cardboard and glue have not held up well for me in the back country.

Mostly I find difficulty with hand held implements & accessories of any sort that are designed for right hand use I guess. Maybe this is something I could note in my journal from now on, then again what would it gain me?

8:42 p.m. on October 18, 2009 (EDT)
110 reviewer rep
762 forum posts

I think if Jimi Hendrix could play a Stratocaster upside down, I could adjust to turning my Spork over.

He didn't. It was re-set w/ a reversed nut, and strung opposite a regular guitar. He would wind the low E string the opposite way around the tuning peg in order to keep it from jumping off the slot in the nut. It is said that even though left-handed strats were available, Hendrix chose the right-handed model because he liked the volume and tone controls on the top.

See, even masters have to work hard at being left-handed!

8:49 p.m. on October 18, 2009 (EDT)
110 reviewer rep
762 forum posts

Sorry Trout. I forgot to disclose before I posted. ;-)

I:
Throw lefty (catch much better lefty too - makes me interesting to play ball with!)
Bat righty
Kick lefty
Write lefty
Eat righty
Screw(drive) lefty
Hammer righty
Shoot lefty w/ a handgun
Shoot righty w/ a rifle
Drill righty
I switched the brake levers on my mountain bike, putting the rear lever on the right, because I have more control with my left hand. This also comes in handy when carrying things home from the grocery store. I ride with my left and carry in my right. If I need to brake, this set up prevents me from getting pitched over the handlebars!

Here's one: Which shoulder do you carry things on? I, on my right, to keep my left hand free to do tasks.

I snowboard regular, not goofy, but that's a whole other topic.

Now, as for my opinion...

If a company makes a hand specific product like scissors, guns, baseball gloves, even sporks, it just seems like good business to make the product in both hand styles. Otherwise they would just be taking themselves off the market for the lefties.

Here is an exception...
http://www.thelefthand.com/

9:01 p.m. on October 18, 2009 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,504 forum posts

f klock,

You are one up on me then! I throw like a girl with my right (it's just a saying ladies), and I can only bat left.

I have learned to be proficient at a couple things with my right hand, but mostly work related.

I choose to see it as a challenge with positive benefits.

9:20 p.m. on October 18, 2009 (EDT)
110 reviewer rep
762 forum posts

Here ya go Trout...lefty SAKs!

http://www.thelefthand.com/lefswisarkni2.html

I also added some additional comments to my previous post.

9:48 p.m. on October 18, 2009 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,504 forum posts

Ahh! Glory be.

Thanks for the link f klock! I WILL get one of those knives. How cool, they do care!

I carry on my left shoulder most often.

I also have swapped the brake levers on my bike as well.

Funny, but my carpenter pants have the hammer loop on the left side, that should be backwards for a right handed carpenter, but I wouldn't know.

7:24 a.m. on October 19, 2009 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
715 reviewer rep
3,157 forum posts

I throw like a girl with my right.

Wow, you must be really good with your right!

7:35 a.m. on October 19, 2009 (EDT)
110 reviewer rep
762 forum posts

This team throws, hits, and bats righty like a bunch of girls too.

6:20 p.m. on October 19, 2009 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,504 forum posts

trouthunter said:

I throw like a girl with my right.

Wow, you must be really good with your right!

I used to date a girl who played fast pitch softball, so I will have to concede the point! She was a righty though, just didn't work out.

November 22, 2014
Quick Reply