Camp coffee

3:11 p.m. on October 29, 2009 (EDT)
18 reviewer rep
133 forum posts

For the past few years I have been on a search for the best "camp coffee". I brew my own at home and have tried, with some success to do this on the trail. I have been in search of a good a lightweight system.

Cowboy coffee is hard to get right and gets messy, so far I have not found an instant coffee that I can drink, and the french press systems weight too much.

I currently use a filter that fits into my nalgene bottle. Works great, but I was wondering what everyone else does.

3:17 p.m. on October 29, 2009 (EDT)
42 reviewer rep
352 forum posts

I'm sold to cowboy coffee. Before a friend of mine took pity on us and gave us a small stove-top espresso machine, that's what we made at home every morning. The trick is to put the coffee first in cold water and get it to boil just a couple seconds, then you let it sit at an angle for 5 min.

4:00 p.m. on October 29, 2009 (EDT)
18 reviewer rep
133 forum posts

That works great for most of the year, but in the winter it gets cold fast. Question, why do you let it sit at an angle?

5:25 p.m. on October 29, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,207 forum posts

I bicycled from Wyoming to Arizona with a guy who made Cowboy coffee. It was always full of grounds. And he used the same enamelware pot with the purculator removed. And he also never emptied out the old grounds just kept adding new ones, day after day. When the pot was completely full he would throw it away and start a new one. After that trip in 1996 I never liked coffee again.

6:31 p.m. on October 29, 2009 (EDT)
42 reviewer rep
352 forum posts

For winter i use a pot cozy made with reflectix insulation. Letting it sit at an angle makes the grains fall in a "corner" of the pot. Usually there's only a few grains in the first cup (if the water didn't boil there's more). It's also wise to warn the folks not to chugg the very last drop from their thermos.

For large groups it's very easy to make a big batch that way, and with a bit of practice it tastes just the same IMO.

6:35 p.m. on October 29, 2009 (EDT)
65 reviewer rep
168 forum posts

Taster's Choice Dark Roast freeze-dried coffee is not bad at all. It's good enough that I drink it at home pretty often.

8:01 p.m. on October 29, 2009 (EDT)
141 reviewer rep
218 forum posts

A metal mesh tea infuser with coarse ground coffee. Let it steep like you would tea. Weighs about 1oz and uses plain old coffee.

8:43 p.m. on October 29, 2009 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,488 forum posts

A metal mesh tea infuser with coarse ground coffee. Let it steep like you would tea. Weighs about 1oz and uses plain old coffee.

A tea infuser works well, and I also use a metal cone filter that sits atop my mug, manual drip, no grinds, weighs almost nothing.

You can also use a very fine metal strainer, just cut the handle off to save weight if you wish.

Make your own "teabag" with your bandanna, or a coffee filter, and some dental floss to tie it up. Let it steep, enjoy. Works with coffee or tea.

11:14 p.m. on October 29, 2009 (EDT)
141 reviewer rep
218 forum posts

I have also heard of some people who buy empty teabags and fill them with coffee grounds. Steep it like you would tea. Never done that myself though.

2:11 p.m. on October 30, 2009 (EDT)
18 reviewer rep
133 forum posts

They actuly sell extra large te/coffee bags for thoes who like stong coffee. I have tried this, but the coffee never comes out stong enough.

As for the cowboy coffee, I just end up with a mess at the end. I just got back from a quick overnighter where I tried the new instant coffee from StarBucks. Belive it or not, I think I found and instant I like. Just wish it cost less...

2:15 p.m. on October 30, 2009 (EDT)
18 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

Try Starbucks VIA. My wife is a coffee snob and loves it.

2:40 p.m. on October 30, 2009 (EDT)
141 reviewer rep
218 forum posts

VIA is good, but I find it a bit weak for my taste. I use a local brand from Baton Rouge called Community. Their instant is as strong as their real coffee, and that is Cajun strong.

3:50 p.m. on October 30, 2009 (EDT)
72 reviewer rep
311 forum posts

I bicycled from Wyoming to Arizona with a guy who made Cowboy coffee. It was always full of grounds. And he used the same enamelware pot with the purculator removed. And he also never emptied out the old grounds just kept adding new ones, day after day. When the pot was completely full he would throw it away and start a new one. After that trip in 1996 I never liked coffee again.

Cant say as i blame you after that experiance.I guess it is true when they say some folks have no taste.Full of grounds eh?Myself i like coffie but when on a hike or climb it just does not agree with insides with hard exercise so i just dont drink the stuff in the outdoors.

9:30 p.m. on November 1, 2009 (EST)
3 reviewer rep
11 forum posts

When me and my wife camp/backpack we take the smoothest instant there is for us and that is Cains and of course creamer and the best sweetner ever- Stevia!

11:35 p.m. on November 1, 2009 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,488 forum posts

I have found the best way to get strong coffee is to make cowboy coffee first, then pour / drip through my bandanna. I keep two bandannas, one for kitchen chores, and one for everything else.

I place the bandanna over my tall mug with a pretty good depression down into the mug, and secure with a rubber band, pour the coffee through from the pot I brewed it in.

I also use the rubber band as a insulating lip at the top of hot mugs to keep from burning my lips. There are also some tricks with tupperware to do the same thing. By finding a plastic container that fits snugly in the top of your mug or pot with the upper section sticking up a bit, and the bottom cut out. You can also put a coffee filter around the plastic container bottom before inserting into the mug and make a nice drip apparatus.

Instant is much faster for sure, some people like me, just enjoy the brewing ritual maybe.

7:32 a.m. on November 3, 2009 (EST)
65 reviewer rep
170 forum posts

I just ordered this MSR filter http://cascadedesigns.com/msr/cookware/cookware-accessories/mugmate-coffee/tea-filter/product as a small and light kit to have hoping it will duble up also for first filtering my water.

At home I use a Bialetti Moka Express but it's a big too havvy for me to pack with me. I do have a friend that use the GSI Mini Expresso and I will take it with me if going for 2 days hike and don't mind the extra grems

9:13 a.m. on November 3, 2009 (EST)
344 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

I use a aluminum drip-o-later. You can pick these up at any second hand store for around a buck. There is a picture of it, #21 of 28 in my profile page. It's in the background.

9:52 p.m. on November 3, 2009 (EST)
141 reviewer rep
218 forum posts

I have found the best way to get strong coffee is to make cowboy coffee first, then pour / drip through my bandanna. I keep two bandannas, one for kitchen chores, and one for everything else.

I place the bandanna over my tall mug with a pretty good depression down into the mug, and secure with a rubber band, pour the coffee through from the pot I brewed it in.

I also use the rubber band as a insulating lip at the top of hot mugs to keep from burning my lips. There are also some tricks with tupperware to do the same thing. By finding a plastic container that fits snugly in the top of your mug or pot with the upper section sticking up a bit, and the bottom cut out. You can also put a coffee filter around the plastic container bottom before inserting into the mug and make a nice drip apparatus.

Instant is much faster for sure, some people like me, just enjoy the brewing ritual maybe.

Thats a good idea.

October 20, 2014
Quick Reply