Tis the season

9:31 a.m. on November 12, 2009 (EST)
344 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

. Yes, the cold weather season is beginning. And with it comes the disguarded clothing and other supplies . So far I have picked-up a Camelbak Blowfish at EB for $14, and two Sierra Designs jackets for $6 each at the second hand store here in town. There are some really good buys out there.

Anyone else finding good used gear this season?

12:23 p.m. on November 12, 2009 (EST)
42 reviewer rep
352 forum posts

Ski towns are awesome in the spring. All the left-over gear from tennants ends up at Salvation Army at the end of the ski season. I doubt i will find anything where i am right now, not a very active town.

3:47 p.m. on November 22, 2009 (EST)
36 reviewer rep
74 forum posts

I am also one that frequents Salvation Army stores but have never have found a "premium" outdoor jacket (ie North Face, Marmot). I've seen Columbia jackets but that's about it. I suppose it depends where you live. Some 2nd hand stores are better than others I've also found.

Usually the best deals I've found were at places like Marshalls and TJ MAX were they sell last years models at about half price. Now with the holdays here you'll see more places like REI, Dick's, & Sports Authority and some of the on-line retailers have decent sales. REI is having one right now on some North Face and Mountain Hardware stuff.

Usually any old jackets I'm planning on getting rid of go to the various coats drives that are going on.

4:59 p.m. on November 22, 2009 (EST)
210 reviewer rep
4,281 forum posts

Jackson Hole is good for buying second hand. Go to Browse and Buy on North cache for many great deals starting about May.

8:09 p.m. on November 22, 2009 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,083 forum posts

I've found tons of stuff over the years. The more you look the more you find, patience is rewarded.

2:52 p.m. on November 23, 2009 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
89 forum posts

Hey Alan I found a Eureka Alpine meadows 4 with vestibule(matching) for 20.00 I also found a Eureka Alpine Meadows 6 for 5.00 less a fly.

8:49 p.m. on November 23, 2009 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,504 forum posts

I recently found a Marmot jacket & a Patagonia 1/4 zip fleece at a Goodwill store. Both were hardly used, wow was I happy.

Let it snow Let it snow, Let it snow!

November 20, 2014
Quick Reply